Benefice Home
Draycott Home

About us
Finding us
Contact us
Restoration & refurbishment







mail the webmaster

  St. Peter's Church Draycott, Somerset

The Building

St. Peter's was built in 1861 (architect CE Giles) in a style described as 'simple early English' (document of consecration). It currently has grade II listed status. The majority of the stonework is that known locally as 'Draycott Marble', a dolomitic conglomerate with a pronounced pinkish tinge, quarried close by in the Mendip hills. Notable interior features are the stained glass east windows, the fine wrought-iron rood screen (1894), and the neo-Norman font by architect William Burges.

Inside- note rood screen Outside, East view
The exterior has remained relatively unchanged, but the interior has evolved considerably. Significant changes include the replacement of gas lighting by electric light; the removal of the pews, and the addition of interior amenities (including kitchen and toilet). In 2010 and 2011 there has been extensive refurbishment of the interior, including lighting, replastering and repainting (for more information click on 'Restoration and Refurbishment' link on left).

More exterior views...
Historical views...