Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

 

Held on 13/10/2009 at 8:00 p.m. at 9 Barnettís Well, Draycott.

Return to main site

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance, apologies and welcome. 1

3.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.†††† Arising, actions. 1

5.†††† Any other business. 2

6.†††† Items for Decision. 2

6a.††††† Shoeboxes. 2

6b.††††† Carols. 2

6c.††††† Publicity. 3

6d.††††† Readerís Robe expenses. 3

7.†††† Items for Discussion. 3

7a.††††† Worship. 3

7b.††††† Fabric. 3

7c.††††† Finance. 3

7d.††††† Events, Supporters of St. Peter (SoSP) 4

7e.††††† LMG.. 4

7f.†††††† Readership update. 4

7g.††††† Web site. 4

7h.††††† Spirituality. 4

7i.†††††† Harvest next year 4

7j.†††††† Community of the Sisters of the Church. 4

7k.††††† Coffee Rotas. 4

8.†††† Items of New Business. 4

8a.††††† Relationship with the School 4

9.†††† Dates. 4

10.††††† Closing prayer 4

 

1.      Opening prayers

Sue opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome

Present

David Cheetham

Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Sue Rose

 

DC

SD

CG

TH

CJ

SR

Thea Oliver

Victor Skinner

 

(apologies)

Richard Dingley Tricia Lumley

Barry Rose

TO

VS

 

 

RD

BR

TL

 

3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 01/09/2009 meeting were agreed as accurate.

4.      Arising, actions

Prior to 01/09/09

6 f.†††† Chalice permissions have been received by Sue. Nikki not on the list- but she is entitled to administer the chalice as a Reader. No further action required.

Minutes of 01/09/09

6a. ††† Parish Newsletter. Michael & Alison are taking this on. Sue Rose to find out how much it would cost to produce in the Cheddar parish office.
ACTION:If it is not too much more than our current costs (about £40 per issue) this is the best option as it is much less work than the current arrangement.

6f. †††† Page numbers for readings will be correct for our books in the next magazine.

6g. ††† Register of deaths update- Thea will liaise with Annette.

NB. The book for intercessions at the back of the church is not being used- a prayer board would be better.
ACTION:Colette to look into in (e.g. a fabric-covered cross).

6i. †††† Change in governor status for Geoff Astle. Chris had sent off the paperwork but the school still havenít heard from diocese. Will update next time. NB. Chris has also asked for a list of governors with their status and re-election dates.

6j. †††† Laurels. It is difficult for them to get ready in time for our 9:15 service. Rodney Stoke service may be better but has problems of its own. Rodney Stoke people need to get involved if The Laurels want to go to them.
ACTION:Chris to contact The Laurels to find out what they want to do.

We should get a bigger group of Draycott folk to visit The Laurels when communion is taken to them.

6k. ††† The Laurels presentation to Draycott will happen on Thursday 22nd October at 2.30. ACTION:Sue will go and would like some support from other people if possible.

7e. ††† Pulpit exchange on November 15th. Thea offered to provide Ken Brown with coffee and breakfast to see him through the morning, after the Draycott service.

8c. ††† St. Peterís Church 150th birthday. The consecration took place on 1st August 1861- too late in the year, for our party.
ACTION:Sue will try to book the bishop for Sunday after St. Peterís Tide (NB. St. Peterís Tide is 29th June, the next Sunday in 2011 is 2nd July).

David noted that the cathedral choir are visiting us around then- this would probably be in the week some time near this date, but should not coincide.

5.      Any other business

(items received and added to agenda)

6.      Items for Decision

6a.       Shoeboxes.

There had been a proposal to do the shoe boxes for Romania appeal. We decided to concentrate on Sisterís of the Church appeal (see 7j).

6b.       Carols

For our carol service we are hoping to do a similar combined effort with Rodney Stoke as last year- their choir to come to us for the Draycott service, us to go to them for Carols by Candlelight. ACTION:†† David to organise.

We will not be going round the village carol singing this year. Instead we hope to go to the Strawberry Special pub for a community carol sing-along on Friday 11th December. ACTION:†† TO to check with the Strawberry Special. NB.We would like to do something with the Red Lion pub too but we most not spread ourselves too thinly.

We would like to sing at Sealey Close and The Laurels as a separate event. Suggested 13th December, 2:15 pm at Sealey Close, 3 pm at The Laurels.

ACTION:Sue to ask Sealey Close, CG to ask The Laurels.

6c.       Publicity

Service times had not made it into the Parish Magazine, although Gordon had sent them. Gordon has offered to publicise in the village.

ACTION:Future issues: CG will provide Helen Dance with the service times in time for each Parish Magazine copy date.

6d.       Readerís Robe expenses

The cost of two sets of robes was £342.50. It had been agreed that such expenses would be shared pro rata between the three parishes in the benefice. Sue was given the invoices (already paid by Chris and Nikki)
ACTION:SR will liaise with the different PCCs.

7.      Items for Discussion

7a.       Worship

School not doing a Christingle this year- will do one next year. Instead Sue has organised a tea party and activity session for children and parents on Saturday 19th December. School will publicise but unlikely to help. Others are needed! Also- publicise at PTA Christmas fair.

There is no pianist for Christmas morning- Thea appealed!

Christmas lights to go up for Advent Sunday (ACTION:Chris and Nikki).

First Sunday of month service- we will change this regularly. Readers will choose, run past Sue. (Sue to do printing, please?) All souls- Sue has a service we may be able to use- will send to Chris.

7b.       Fabric

ACTION:DC will chase Mendip re. pollarding of the limes

One radiator is cold- the system needs bleeding, some valves probably need replacing. ACTION:DC to arrange.

RD was getting Steve Wall to look at drains. Sylvia will ask Richard whether this was progressed. David may ask Steve himself as well.

7c.       Finance

The intention is to pay the balance of the parish share if we can- currently it looks as if we will be able to.

Insurance has fallen due- £482. CG handed over the details to David.
ACTION:DC to organise payment.

7d.       Events, Supporters of St. Peter (SoSP)

TO to thank the Mendip Players for organising the Murder Mystery.

We should do something more church orientated- Thea proposed 14th November for soup lunch, 12-2. All asked to provide soup. Chris will mention to The Laurels.

7e.       LMG

The event on gifting to be publicised in pew notes. ACTION:SR

7f.        Readership update

PCC thanked by Chris; will put a piece in the church newsletter. Please note Chris and Nikki have training days on 18th October and 8th November.

7g.       Web site

Outage in September noticed by Richard, technical fault with the provider led to the whole thing having to be reloaded.
ACTION:(all) Please could everyone keep an eye on it for availability and accuracy.

7h.       Spirituality

Sue- to cover next meeting

7i.         Harvest next year

Something different! Thea has ideasÖ see 7d above.

7j.         Community of the Sisters of the Church

Our harvest giving was down compared to last year. We will give their Christmas appeal our strongest support possible.
ACTION:Chris to summarise their appeal in the church newsletter, with dates. NB. make sure that Rodney Stoke and Cheddar know and have the chance to be involved.

7k.      Coffee Rotas

Rota is tight- not enough people involved. Will try harder- we still want it every week.

8.      Items of New Business

8a.       Relationship with the School

To be covered next time

9.      Dates

Next PCC- date changed to 5th November so that Chris & Nikki would be able to come. NB. to deal mainly with two issues- 7h and 8a, above. To take place at 9 Barnettís Well.

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site