Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 19/05/2009 at 8:00 p.m. at 9, Barnett’s Well, Draycott.


Return to main site

1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.     Attendance, apologies and welcome. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Arising, actions. 2

5.     Any other business. 2

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a      Pentecost Praise on 31st 2

6 b      Parish Newsletter (APCM) 2

6 c      Inventory (APCM) 2

6 d      Light in kitchen (APCM) 2

6 e      Children’s society account (APCM) 2

6 f       Roof fund name change (APCM) 2

6 g      School Governors. 2

6 h      Lectern microphone. 3

7.     Items for Discussion. 3

7 a.      Worship. 3

7 b.     Fabric. 3

7 c.      Finance. 3

7 d.     Supporters of St. Peters. 3

7 e.      LMG.. 4

7 f.      Study Group. 4

8.     Items of New Business. 4

8 a.      Feedback from warden’s meeting. 4

8 b.     Inviting archdeacon to PCC.. 4

8 c.      Open day- vicar meets the village. 4

8 d.     Monthly lunchtime concert- informal 4

9.     Dates. 4

9 a.      Services. 4

9 b.     PCC meetings. 4

9 c.      Other 4

10.      Closing prayer 4


1.      Opening prayers

Sue opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome


David Cheetham

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver

Sue Rose

Victor Skinner











Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Barry Rose






3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 23/03/2009 meeting were agreed as accurate.

4.      Arising, actions

Meeting of 23/03/09

6 c     (Sound system) The microphones have been given new batteries and are now working OK. They are now being kept in the safe as agreed.

7 d     (Candidates expenses) David had raised this at last night’s meeting.

5.      Any other business

(items received and added to agenda-  6g, h;  8c, d)

6.      Items for Decision

6 a       Pentecost Praise on 31st

CG offered his apologies but was otherwise engaged. Those taking part will meet on Sunday after church.

6 b       Parish Newsletter (APCM)

The magazine editor in Cheddar is Margaret Gelder. Should we consider a joint newsletter, as mentioned at the APCM?


·      To bring up idea of combined magazine at the joint PCC meeting.

·      Write to Newmans asking to continue for the moment and explaining that we are considering options (NB. also bring up the advertising revenue) (CG)

6 c       Inventory (APCM)

ACTION: Thea and David to update- Key inventory must also be taken in hand (Thea).

6 d       Light in kitchen (APCM)

Light could be changed, or leave switch alone and switch on and off at the wall.

ACTION: TO will speak to Ian Patch to get this done soon.

6 e       Children’s society account (APCM)

As agreed at the annual meeting, funds should go through the church and not through Linda Whittles personal account. This will not need a separate bank account, only another column in restricted payments.

ACTION: DC to set up new restricted fund within existing accounts.

6 f        Roof fund name change (APCM)

As agreed at the annual meeting, the account name would be changed to the Draycott PCC Fabric Fund. Sue Rose will become a signatory. Since the bank only allows 4 signatures, RD will drop off. Authorised signatories to be DC, CG, TO, SR.

ACTION: DC to request name and signatories changes.

6 g       School Governors

We have a request to reappoint Mark Rickard as a foundation school governor. All were agreed. Also Nikki Devitt has just received her reappointment from the diocese.

ACTION: CG to return form to diocese on behalf of School and Mike Rickard.

NB. Tomorrow’s school assembly would be in memory of Jane Hampton. (Nikki to confirm to Sue whether this would take place at the usual time of11:30).

6 h       Lectern microphone

At funerals the cabling for the lectern gets in the way (when using N Transept).

ACTION: VS to look into additional microphone cabling to allow re-routing.

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.      Worship

Main topic of conversation at the joint warden’s meeting last night was the pattern of services. Currently Sue is doing Draycott twice and Rodney Stoke once in the month. Cheddar has 2 services to cover (8 and 10). Cheddar will probably lose 2 of its 8 am services; the time of the Draycott service would need to go forward to 9:15. Rodney Stoke may need to be more variable.

It might not be possible for communion at The Laurels to continue, at least at its current time.

Although this was provisional, the PCC formally approved the move to 9:15 am for our main Sunday service (proposed: CG; seconded: TL; all were in favour).

7 b.      Fabric

The downpipes are inadequate. We really need an architect to assess the requirements.

ACTION: DC to ask George Chedburn to look at them.

We are not sure which is the most critical cause of damp in the church- the earth (banked up around the chancel end) or the guttering. NB. the earth has become more difficult since MDC tarmacked the path. It may be their responsibility to do something about it.

7 c.      Finance

General funds: £10,800; fabric funds £8,600.

We have sufficient funds to pay part of our parish share and also to consider works for some of the most pressing fabric questions.

Proposed: pay £500 per month towards Parish Share until further notice (DC proposed, CJ seconded; one person abstained, the remaining 5 were in favour).

Covenants- quite a number are from folk who do not come to church, and have been giving the same amount for a long time. Should we send a letter encouraging them to increase their giving?

It was thought this was not the right time, although it would be done some time in the future.

7 d.      Supporters of St. Peters

Event- joining with Mendip Players on 10th October in a murder mystery. Will need to host a table each and dress according to the theme. Watch this space!

Open gardens- 12th July.

The Lent quiz made £160.

7 e.      LMG

TL is organising the ice pop distribution, our contribution to the Father’s day festivities. She would call on our help as required.

7 f.       Study Group

This is winding up for the summer, and the numbers have dropped. This needs fresh ideas and a relaunch, to bring in new people and draw on other parishes. Michael Taylor in Rodney Stoke suggested that we start with a book (such as one of the Marcus Borg ones, that have proved popular with such groups) and use this as the basis of a study group. He was prepared to host the group. We would discuss further over the summer.

The PCC was supportive of these ideas.

8.      Items of New Business

8 a.      Feedback from warden’s meeting

(Mainly covered above in 7 a).

8 b.      Inviting archdeacon to PCC

ACTION: SR will mail Nicola with a list of dates of Draycott PCC meetings.

8 c.      Open day- vicar meets the village

Could be a day in church with tea & biscuits supplied. NB. a social but not a fund-raising event. Perhaps the pub would be better?

ACTION: SR to think of a day.

8 d.      Monthly lunchtime concert- informal

Proposed by BR (through DC). Saturday lunchtime (complete with lunch?). We liked the idea- ‘St. Peter’s Proms’. BR to organise (DC will pass this on).

9.      Dates

9 a.      Services

21st May- Ascension day. NB there are 2 services RS (top of tower), Cheddar (p.m.- Bible Society, organised by Judith Rose).

31st May- joint service (5th Sunday) at St. Andrews, 10 a.m.

9 b.      PCC meetings

30th June, 1st September, 13th October, 17th November (all at 8 p.m. at the Jeff’s house).

9 c.      Other

Preaching team- one will be selected from 11th June, 19th June, 26th June. Sue will ask the Cheddar team and let us know.

Pulpit exchange- 15th November.

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site