Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 23/03/2009 at 7:30 p.m. at 9, Barnett’s Well, Draycott.


Return to main site

1.      Opening prayers.. 1

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome.. 1

3.      Minutes of previous meeting.. 1

4.      Arising, actions.. 1

5.      Any other business.. 2

6.      Items for Decision.. 2

6 a         Font- next steps.. 2

6 b         APCM reports.. 2

6 c         Sound system.... 2

7.      Items for Discussion.. 2

7 a.        New Incumbent News.. 2

7 b.        Worship.. 2

7 c.        Fabric.. 3

7 d.        Finance.. 3

7 e.        SoSP... 3

7 f.         LMG.... 3

7 g.        Father’s day- 21st June.. 3

8.      Items of New Business.. 3

8 a.        Community of the Sisters of the Church.. 3

8 b.        Easter music.. 4

9.      Dates.. 4

10.         Closing prayer. 4


1.        Opening prayers

Richard opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.        Attendance, apologies and welcome


David Cheetham

Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver











Stanley Price

Barry Rose





3.        Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 16/02/2009 meeting were agreed as accurate.

4.        Arising, actions

Meetings prior to 16/02/09

6 a       (plaster fall) RD has contacted the insurers. They will meet costs of ceiling repair but not curing the drainage defect that led to the fall.

Meeting of 16/02/09

6 a       (Social evening with Sue & Piers) This had been a great success- we thanked the Dingleys.

7 b       (Joint service on 29th). Stanley has been invited- not sure if he will come. NB. Sue has asked Stanley to continue- who is paying? Probably the Benefice- clarify.

5.        Any other business

(items received and added to agenda-  6b, c;  8a, b)

6.        Items for Decision

6 a           Font- next steps

Nicola Sullivan has expressed how sad she was, and thought that the decision was wrong. The diocesan office may investigate the possibility of an appeal, but the time frame was not known. She may discuss this further with us.

The Victorian Society will have to pay the costs for the Court of Arches, but we will be liable for the previous Consistory Court expenses. However, we think that these costs will be covered by a grant from the diocese.

We should note that after Easter, our chancellor (Timothy Briden) becomes the Dean of the Court of Arches. We should perhaps make some informal approach to him to ask his advice on how to proceed.

ACTION: CG to draft a brief report to include in the newsletter as an A5 ‘separate’- by Wednesday. CG to forward to TO who will print out and make sure it goes out with the newsletter.

(Nothing further to do for the moment.)

6 b           APCM reports

CG requested reports from all responsible, to be supplied electronically at least 1 week before the meeting so that they would be available in printed form.

6 c           Sound system

One microphone need repair, and the performance of the system as a whole has been temperamental.


·         Adjusting volumes is a problem- we should leave the settings as they are, and put up with the ‘surge’ when we switch the power on. (All who set up the system)

·         Don’t put the microphone box with the rest of the system, as it tends to knock the knobs off the front of the amplifier- put it in the safe. (All who put the system away)

·         Ask the Cheddar electronics repairer to fix the microphone (RD).

7.        Items for Discussion

7 a.         New Incumbent News

There will be a rehearsal in St. Andrews for all involved in the installation service- on Sunday 19th at 6 pm.

7 b.         Worship

Holy Week:

There will be an ecumenical ‘stations of the cross’ service at the Cheddar Catholic church on Monday.

There will be a service on Wednesday for those attending the Ecumenical Lent course. It would follow the pattern of previous occasions, with readings on the theme of the course, and an opportunity for discussion and socialising. Chris to lead; David Cheetham has kindly agreed to play the piano.

Gordon Jeff will lead the Maundy Thursday service, to be followed by a vigil. David agreed to play the organ.

There will be no services at Draycott on Friday, but there will be services at Rodney Stoke and Cheddar.

There is no early morning service planned, just our normal 9:30 service (with special music- choir to attend at 9 for a rehearsal).

7 c.         Fabric

                  (Nothing new).

7 d.         Finance

General fund: £4,156 current, £4,511 deposit.

Refurbishment fund: £5,320 current, £3,008 deposit.

David would like us to rename the ‘Roof fund’ the ‘Refurbishment and maintenance fund’ to avoid unduly restricting its use. The motion was put to the PCC that we should make a recommendation to the APCM to do this (proposed, RD; seconded, TH- all were in favour).

Status of church: The church membership has previously been categorised as ‘C’. After a discussion we agreed to leave it at this level.

Reception after the installation- expenses. We want to contribute to this as it must not all fall to Cheddar. We agreed to put in £100.

There are still expenses to be paid for the candidates- RD to talk to Richard Scorse.

7 e.         SoSP

NB. Quiz sheets.

No fixed date for open gardens yet- but we were keen on doing it.

7 f.          LMG

Axbridge- 28th (Tues). Main item of business- details of Pentecost Praise to be worked out. Our theme- ‘Water’. DC will attend.

7 g.         Father’s day- 21st June

We still have ‘ice pops’ and would be prepared to freeze them and give them out, as last year. CG to reply to Paul Spanring.

8.        Items of New Business

8 a.         Community of the Sisters of the Church

They are having a farewell service as the leader of their Bristol community is leaving. This will be held at St. Agnes (St. Pauls, Bristol) on 8th May, followed by a ‘bring-and-share’ buffet supper. If any of us wants to go we must let them know (CG went to the last event- it was a very lively and well-supported affair).

8 b.         Easter music

Choir practice- this Thursday.

9.        Dates

APCM: 26th April, followed by PCC meeting to elect officers and fix the date of the next meeting.

10.  Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site