Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 19/01/2009 at 7:30 p.m. at 9, Barnett’s Well, Draycott.


Return to main site

1.      Opening prayers.. 1

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome.. 1

3.      Minutes of previous meeting.. 1

4.      Arising, actions.. 1

5.      Any other business.. 2

6.      Items for Decision.. 2

6 a         Font appeal. 2

6 b         Draft financial statement. 2

6 c         Child protection.. 2

6 d         Lent group.. 2

6 e         Church newsletter. 2

7.      Items for Discussion.. 2

7 a.        New Incumbent News.. 2

7 b.        Worship.. 2

7 c.        Fabric.. 3

7 d.        Finance.. 3

7 e.        SoSP... 3

7 f.         LMG.... 3

8.      Items of New Business.. 3

8 a.        Friends of Somerset Churches & Chapels.. 3

8 b.        Christmas revisited.. 3

9.      Dates.. 3

10.         Closing prayer. 3


1.        Opening prayers

Richard opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.        Attendance, apologies and welcome


David Cheetham

Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Tricia Lumley

Barry Rose











Thea Oliver

Stanley Price





3.        Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 09/12/2008 meeting were agreed as accurate with minor corrections.

4.        Arising, actions

Previous to meeting of 09/12/08

8 c       (Receipts for English Heritage). This has all been done- WCT has been paid, English Heritage have the final receipt.

Meeting of 09/12/08

6 a       (Thank-you presents) These had all been delivered as agreed. Stanley had accepted RD’s offer of a time-share let. A card from Susanna Walker thanking us was circulated.

6 b       (Christmas lights). These had been put up in time- our thanks to Nikki Devitt and Richard Oliver.

7 b       (Easter celebrant) Hilary Thomas from Cheddar has agreed to come to us again.

5.        Any other business

(items received and added to agenda-  6e, 8b)

6.        Items for Decision

6 a           Font appeal

Thanks to DC and RD for clearing up the plaster fall. We hope that this will be the last.
NB. Water seems to be coming through the roof- this was probably what brought the plaster down.
ACTION: RD to write to insurers- but we don’t want to action the repairs just yet, this should be part of our wider redecoration.

6 b           Draft financial statement

This had been circulated previously; DC asked for comments.
The PCC approved the statement.

6 c           Child protection

There is a child protection course on 11th Feb at St. Mary’s Wedmore (7-9 pm). TO will go- anyone else interested? CG would tell Nikki Devitt about it as she had expressed an interest.

6 d           Lent group

Shall we invite the Lent groups to a Holy Week service, as in previous years?
The PCC agreed- date Wednesday 8th April.

6 e           Church newsletter

Should we revise the price? Considering this currently runs at a profit we agreed to leave it as it is (Proposed: DC; seconded, CJ; all were in favour).

7.        Items for Discussion

7 a.         New Incumbent News

We need to find a convenient date for a social meeting with Sue Rose. Suggested: Feb 27th, Mar 6th. We discussed some proposals for changing services – we thought a good idea was to have a joint service at Cheddar for 5th Sundays in the month. Also we might suggest that one of the Cheddar team should celebrate alternate weeks at Rodney Stoke and Draycott.
NB. Installation is 22nd April at 7pm in St. Andrew’s.

7 b.         Worship

Worship Group at Draycott- 19th Feb.

The family service at on the 1st Sunday of the month was discussed. It had been a good experiment but failed to bring in a wider age range- perhaps it is time we tried something else? It was proposed that we use the Iona service instead for a while. Go back to robing.
ACTION: RD to inform Stanley as it was his initiative.

NB. Next Sunday is 1st February- we have decided to do it as ‘Candlemas’.

7 c.         Fabric

                  Paving slabs around the bins are slippery again.
ACTION: Colette & Gordon will investigate with Tricia Heckbert. Jeyes fluid might be a good solution.

7 d.         Finance

(Covered above).

7 e.         SoSP

The Ukrainian accordionists want to come again. We thought that we should leave it another year before inviting them back- we could not do it every year as it was a lot of effort.

7 f.          LMG

Next meeting- 4th Feb. 5th Feb- ‘Godly Play’ workshop. 14th March- Marriage preparation. Pentecost- 31st May.

8.        Items of New Business

8 a.         Friends of Somerset Churches & Chapels

We had received the newsletter. They seem to be quite active in making grants.

8 b.         Christmas revisited

We seem to be always cramming services in before Christmas day, then having very little for the rest of Christmastide. How about having a service after Christmas Day? Epiphany service? The meeting thought it was a good idea.

9.        Dates

Next PCC- Monday16th Feb, 9 Barnett’s Well.

Further PCC meetings: 23rd March (Monday)

Deanery Synod at St. Peter’s on 5th March (Thursday).

APCM: 26th April.

10.  Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site