Minutes of Extraordinary Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 21/10/2008 at 7:30 p.m. at Barn Close, Wet Lane, Draycott.

Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer.

Attendance, apologies and welcome


David Cheetham

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Barry Rose

Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver










Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley





Stanley Price (SP) was also in attendance.

Purpose of meeting- Font Appeal decisions

  1. The dates proposed by the Court of Arches are 5th and 8th December (a Friday and a Monday).
  2. We have several possibilities for representation at a low cost. Mark Hill (Chancellor of the Diocese of Chichester), and his deputy, are both prepared to act pro bono.
  3. Vivian Davies is still interested in acquiring the font.
  4. Is this our fight, or should it rather be Bath and Wells? It was after all the decision of the Chancellor of our diocese that is being called into question. Perhaps we can approach them for a financial contribution to our defence, at least.

ACTION: CG to approach Nick Dennison

  1. Our likely costs
    1. We owe the diocese a few hundreds of pounds for costs incurred in the original written case.
    2. For counsel acting pro bono we shall have to provide expenses- say £200.
    3. Mr. Johnson may require £200 for time and £100 for expenses, in providing further briefings.
    4. The costs of the court are the major item- £2,000 to £4,000.
    5. Stanley’s expenses- another £100.
    6. Flowers for Susannah Walker- make sure we allow £50 for this.

ACTION: SP to continue to discuss the preparation of our case with legal representatives.

  1. We have sufficient funds in the general account and savings- just. We agreed that the savings in our refurbishment funds could not be used for this purpose.
  2. We have a good chance of succeeding, according to Andrew Johnson.
  3. Due forms have not been met in the dealing of the Court of Arches with the petitioners (i.e. ourselves). We should have been supplied with supporting documents. There may be a ‘hearing for directions’ but we have not been informed.

ACTION: SP will check with Mr. Rees.

  1. CG thought that we should make a positive decision to defend our case, as it might appear otherwise that we had ‘drifted’ into it as a PCC. The money we are proposing to spend on this is not our own, so we must be able to give a good account of our decisions. It appears that we will be liable for court expenses whatever happens- which now appears to represent the bulk of the expenses. Nevertheless, CG proposed the motion that we defend our decision to sell the font as vigorously as possible. TO seconded. All were in favour, so the motion was carried.
  2. We need to strengthen our case as much as possible between now and December.
    1. Gather evidence (photographic evidence of damage to the church would be useful).
    2. We need to be able to show that we have covered all avenues in the search for further funds.
  3. It would be very useful to have Stanley back on the PCC. He expressed himself willing, and all agreed that this would be a good idea.

ACTION: Stanley Price becomes a member of the PCC with immediate effect.

Next meeting:

11th November 2008 at the Jeffs (regular PCC).