Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 25/03/2008 at 7:30 p.m. at Lotus House, The Street, Draycott.


Return to main site

1.      Opening prayers.. 1

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome.. 1

3.      Minutes of previous meeting.. 1

4.      Arising, actions.. 1

5.      Any other business.. 2

6.      Items for Decision.. 2

6 a         New incumbent- profile.. 2

6 b         Herbert Trust.. 2

6 c         Kingsway Electrics.. 2

6 d         Copyright licensing.. 2

6 e         Contribution to Lambeth expenses.. 2

6 f          Mendip Players Youth Group.. 2

7.      Items for Discussion.. 3

7 a.        Worship.. 3

7 b.        Fabric.. 3

7 c.        Finance.. 3

7 d.        Fund raising.. 3

7 e.        LMG.... 3

7 f.         Events.. 3

7 g.        Annual Parochial Church Meeting.. 3

7 h.        Lent Groups.. 4

8.      Items of New Business.. 4

8 a.        Legacies and Wills.. 4

8 b.        One day Alpha conference.. 4

8 c.        Ascension Day.. 4

9.      Dates.. 4

10.         Closing prayer. 4


1.        Opening prayers

Richard opened the meeting with a prayer. The meeting had no formal chair.

2.        Attendance, apologies and welcome


Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley Chris Green

Colette Jeff

Tricia Lumley








David Cheetham

Tricia Heckbert

Thea Oliver







3.        Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 18/02/2008 meeting were agreed as accurate.

4.        Arising, actions

(previous to 18/02/08)

6 a       (Chalice and patten) RD to ask Stanley.

7 f        (Father’s Day) TL has bought the ‘ice pops’ (£50).

(meeting of 18/02/08)

6 b       (Security signs) RD still to laminate the signs.

6 d       (Magazine distribution) Not included in version for website.

5.        Any other business

(items received and added to agenda- 6f, 7h and 8c)

6.        Items for Decision

6 a           New incumbent- profile

The latest draft of the profile had been circulated.

Proposed: that we adopt the present version as our PCC opening position (CG)

Seconded: CJ

All were in favour, so the motion was passed.

Nikki would brief Thea before the next meeting (NB. several alternative meetings dates had been given out to all the parish representatives; RD would not be present).

Cheddar vicarage- after the meeting at St. Andrews, the PCC was still of the opinion that the current vicarage should be kept (although not everyone agrees with this position).

6 b           Herbert Trust.

RD explained that the purpose of the Trust was to improve the standard of diction in all who contributed to worship by speaking in church. We need to make good use of the opportunity- have we enough people?

ACTION: TL will talk to the Mendip Players, who may also be interested.

6 c           Kingsway Electrics.

Stanley wrote on 19th January. Kingsway demanded payment on March 12th. RD rang them. We are still waiting for the test certificate; we also dispute the charge to replace a bulb that was nearly new.

ACTION: Holding fire until we get the certificate. NB. RD will be away.

6 d           Copyright licensing.

CG had obtained a leaflet explaining the way the Christian Copyright Licensing organisation works. NB. apart from the cost, there is some bureaucracy involved.

ACTION- CG to pass the document to DC for his opinion, with the recommendation that we should subscribe.

6 e           Contribution to Lambeth expenses.

CG read out a letter from the diocese asking us for a contribution towards bursaries for overseas delegates to the next Lambeth Conference, suggesting a contribution of  £28 (based on congregation numbers)

ACTION- CG to pass this on to DC with the request that we pay.

6 f            Mendip Players Youth Group.

Stephanie Lumley has volunteered to coordinate the youth group of the Mendip Players, meeting approximately once a fortnight. There are times when they cannot use the memorial hall- could they use the church? What charges might we make?

This was discussed- we were very positive about bodies such as this putting the church to good use, and we would not try to make a profit from this. On the other hand we would want to recover additional expenses for heating and lighting, and must be even-handed. We would prefer regular to sporadic use, and knowing their programme in advance, to avoid clashes with church activities.
ACTION: Would the youth group be able to let us know their programme of proposed activity? TL to ask.

ACTION: Consult DC on the appropriate charge- in the region of £5-£10 per session (CG to ask).

7.        Items for Discussion

7 a.         Worship

RD has completed arranging celebrants for the first half of the year. For the second half, will invite celebrants to preach if they wish on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month. On the other Sundays we will field the preachers from our preaching team.

7 b.         Fabric

-              The lightening conductor has been tested and is working.

-              The heating appears to be working OK now.

7 c.         Finance

According to a mail received from DC, we have £5,300 in general funds, and £3,064 in the refurbishment fund. There is about £1000 to pay out before the end of the month in various costs.

7 d.         Fund raising

(No new fundraising in prospect)

7 e.         LMG

-              The Biddisham evening was cancelled.

-              There will be a study evening on 21st May- the Bible in 55 minutes (Ken Brown).

-              The Kings of Wessex youth worker is only being funded for four days a week, and it has been suggested that the churches in the catchment contribute enough to make this up to five days. This would require £2,000 p.a. We have been asked whether we would consider contributing towards this.

ACTION: Should we ask for someone to come and explain what the youth worker does? We don’t currently have the funds for this- defer decision until we find out more

7 f.          Events

Takings from the Celtic Saints evening were £211.55. This has gone into the refurbishment fund. The evening was a success, although if we could have sold more tickets it would have been still better.

The meeting thanked TH and TL for organising this.

7 g.         Annual Parochial Church Meeting

CG listed the reports required, and the meeting agreed who would be responsible for each. (NB. we would ask Stanley if he would do the incumbent’s report). CG requested that the reports be delivered in electronic form a week before the APCM (i.e. 20th April) to allow him time to put them into the final format.

ACTION: CG to e-mail the list out to all concerned.

7 h.         Lent Groups

These had been highly successful, and well organised by Ken Lewis at St.Andrew’s. The final service at Draycott had been well-attended and was a lively and enjoyable event. We had more or less broken even with the sales of books, so no funding was required.

ACTION: CG to write to Ken Lewis expressing the thanks of the PCC.

8.        Items of New Business

8 a.         Legacies and Wills

We had received a leaflet from the diocese, advising us how to introduce the topic to the church members.

ACTION: this should be discussed more fully.

8 b.         One day Alpha conference

The conference was to take place on 10th May in Weston super Mare. The publicity was shared with the PCC, but support for the Alpha Course movement in the PCC was too divided for us to recommend it to the parish at large.

8 c.         Ascension Day.

There will be an Ecumenical Ascension Day service at St. Andrew’s on 1st May dedicated to the Bible Society, with a Bible Society speaker. We have been asked to choose a hymn, and must let the organiser know beforehand, by mid-April (NB. organised by Judith Rose).

9.        Dates

-              APCM: Sunday 27th April; 6 pm service followed by APCM at 6:30.

-              A Thursday was suggested for next day- 8th or 15th May.

10.  Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site