Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 23/07/2007 at 7:30 p.m. at 9, Barnet's Well, Draycott.

Return to main site


1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.     Attendance, apologies and welcome. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Arising, actions. 1

5.     Any other business. 2

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a.      Electrical items. 2

6 b.     Boiler. 2

6 c      Furnishings. 2

6 d      Font objections. 2

7.     Items for Discussion. 3

7 a.      Worship. 3

7 b.     Fabric. 3

7 c.      Finance. 3

7 d.     Fund raising. 3

7 e.      LMG.. 3

7 f.      Events. 3

8.     Items of New Business. 4

9.     Dates. 4

10.      Closing prayer 4


1.      Opening prayers

Richard opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome


David Cheetham Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert







Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver



Colette Jeff

Stanley Price









3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 17/06/2007 meeting were agreed as accurate subject to minor amendments.

4.      Arising, actions

(previous to meeting of 17/06/07)

7c. i. (snagging list) SP reported that 1 rainwater pipe was still broken- SP had proposed to architect that they would renew bends, we will pay for extra ones. Not heard back yet.

 (from meeting of 22/05/07)

6a. ii. (Kingsway Electrical- Scissor lift) No bill received yet.

6a. iii. (Plastering) RD thought we should not start re-plastering until we can do the whole job.

6b.       (Treasurer/ book-keeper) DC has not managed to make contact with Bernard yet.

6c.       (pollarding) Letter not yet sent.

6e.       (Signage for smoking ban) Done.

6g.       (LMG subscription) Not done yet- will do (RD).

7g.       (Risk Assessment)


Current status

Further action

Key holders

Current record is July 2005. NB.DC now has a complete set.

Ask Nik what keys school have (CG)

Get a new padlock for boiler house railings (CJ)


PCC reconsidered earlier decision- they should be kept

TL & TO will look into this

Accident Book

In hand- will be loose-leaf photocopies

Completed accident forms to be stored in safe (all)

Bier house

Chairs have gone.



Vestry house carpet has gone. The aisle carpet is needed- the flags are too uneven without it.



Barbara didn’t like us getting rid of the curtain in front of the safe. Lower safe looks untidy.

Paint safe? DC to look into.


5.      Any other business

(items added to agenda)

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.      Electrical items

·        The switch guide has been renewed.

·        Extra lamps were fitted in transepts- but only one light has been installed in each, as they were very powerful (and consumed a lot of energy).

·        Lights in reredos renewed.

·        East end light needs to be replaced, but it is not in its current position. It needs to be moved further round. This was not in our original specifications. SP has asked electrician to quote, and will take decision when the cost is known.

6 b.      Boiler. 

Should we start a faculty process for replacement? We don’t know how long this type of boiler lasts. It may have been installed incorrectly, but it has been wrong for a long time- why should it suddenly be dangerous after 30 years.
ACTION: Only put it on when someone is in the church? (Defer decision).

6 c       Furnishings.

(covered in matters arising).

6 d       Font objections

The Council for the Care of Churches have submitted objections, and the Victorian Society are also going to respond to our previous report. The CCC’s points were not new, but had mostly been covered in our previous submission. They were not formal objectors, but we should try to rebut their objections anyway.
ACTION: We will need to respond to these fresh points, but this exchange should not carry on any longer. (CG to lead response)

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.      Worship

·      Our 1st July service worked very well- good attendance, interesting service. Some people thought that it was too lengthy.

·      Due for a joint service next Sunday

·      Reminder- worship meeting in church hall in Rodney Stoke on 3rd September.

·      Reminder- themed services in August and September, on the Lord’s Prayer.

7 b.      Fabric

(all items covered already).

7 c.      Finance

·        DC reported that there was £6,289 in the general fund and £8,194 in the refurbishment fund.

·        Electrical work (currently in hand) will more or less spend our current reserves.

·        Unpaid fees- verger. Must make sure appropriate charges get passed on to the funeral director.
ACTION: clarify with SP

·        Parish share? In view of the emergency electrical work, DC advised that we could not afford it this month. A motion to postpone this month’s payment was proposed by CG and seconded by TH. All were in favour.

7 d.      Fund raising

·        TO had decided to try raising funds at the car boot sale, and advertised in the newsletter. Volunteers were need, and also donations of quality items. We might build on this to give a Christian witness there. How about carol singing at Christmas?

·        SP’s item- a Celtic Harp Concert was proposed
ACTION: SP to pursue

·        DC- A rock group specialising in 50s and 60s music was looking for venues. Could do some concerts in the autumn.

7 e.      LMG

·        LMG Pentecost event should happen again.

·        Other pieces were read out from their current newsletter.

·        Friday 14th September- skittles at Draycott (Red Lion pub)- tickets £5 each.

7 f.       Events

·        29th September - Mendip Players Céilidh.

·        Harpist (TBA)

·        6th October Michaelmas fair- fair trade, in church.

·        12th October- Harvest Supper

·        12th October- Barry’s concert.

·        14th October- Harvest Festival.

·        November evening for band- also early in December.

8.      Items of New Business

(Fund raising concert- dealt with under 7d).

9.      Dates

Next PCC meeting- Wed. 12th September, Lotus House. Apologies- DC (holiday). TO will do her best to be there.

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site