Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

 

Held on 22/05/2007 at 7:30 p.m. at 9, Barnet's Well, Draycott.

Return to main site

 

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance, apologies and welcome. 1

3.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.†††† Arising, actions. 1

5.†††† Any other business. 2

6.†††† Items for Decision. 2

6 a.††††† PCC membership. 2

6 b.†††† Officers. 2

6 c††††† Lighting. 2

6 d††††† Heating. 2

6 e††††† Font 3

6 f†††††† Insurance. 3

7.†††† Items for Discussion. 3

7 a.††††† Worship. 3

7 b.†††† Fabric. 3

7 c.††††† Finance. 3

7 d.†††† Fund raising. 3

7 e.††††† LMG.. 4

7 f.††††† Events group. 4

8.†††† Items of New Business. 4

8 a.††††† Articles of enquiry. 4

9.†††† Dates. 4

10.††††† Closing prayer 4

 

1.      Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer. Thea Oliver took the chair.

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome

Present

David Cheetham Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley Chris Green

Colette Jeff

 

DC

RD

SD

CG

CJ

Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

 

Apologies

Tricia Heckbert

 

TL

TO

SP

 

 

TH

 

3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 02/04/2007 meeting were agreed as accurate subject to minor amendments.

4.      Arising, actions

(previous to meeting of 02/04/07)

6c. (David Clarke- gift) Done.

7c. i. (snagging list) Done. CG contacted architect, who said he had sent the snagging list to WCT. WCT contacted by SP, who said they had received it.
FURTHER ACTION: CG to contact WCT to ask when the works will be completed

(from meeting of 02/04/07)

All other actions covered under agenda, except: 8a. (Book) SP has not yet bought the book.

5.      Any other business

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.††††† PCC membership

With Victor leaving, we have one less member than we had previously. Are we happy with that or do we need to approach anyone else?

The meeting thought that this was sufficient, and could always co-opt other people as required.

6 b.††††† Officers.

i.      Tricia Heckbert was re-appointed lay chair in absentia, subject to her agreement.
ACTION: CG to confirm with TH

ii.     Second churchwarden? Various possibilities were raised. CG offered to undertake (but not able to do along with role of secretary). The meeting thought that would create another problem, and preferred him to stay on in the post of secretary. DC was willing to help out when he could (for example, by meeting contractors in the church)- this offer was gratefully accepted.

iii.   Secretary: Chris Green (see above).

iv.   Treasurer: TO had discussed with Alan Newman, who would be happy to do the St. Peter's books and assist an 'official' treasurer- but someone else would need to do the magazine. This did not seem like a good idea! RD said that Bernard Woods might be prepared to do the book-keeping. Jill Dury (Cross Farm Road) was suggested.
ACTIONS:
1. TO to tell Alan Newman that he is doing far too good a job with the newsletter for us to accept his kind offer to be our bookkeeper!
2. RD to ask Bernard Woods if he will be prepared to keep our books.
3. SP to visit and ask Jill Dury.

v.    Covenant secretary. CJ reported that Victor Skinner was willing to carry on
ACTION: CG to write thanking Victor for this, and also for all his previous work in fund-raising.

6 c†††††† Lighting.

Work has started on the lighting, on the most urgent part relating to the original quotation (25th May). We have received an additional quote (20th March).

In discussing these works the PCC were worried that parts would need to be re-done at a later date (both because PVC cable was being used- that would need to be replaced- and also the re-arrangements of lighting when we had sufficient funds). SP phoned Kingsway Electrical during the meeting, and arranged for Mr Buncombe to meet us in church.

Various additional material needed for our case- most important gap is response to Diane Walker (for Victorian Society). We also need more detail on the grant giving bodies we have approached (VS: these came from 'Architectural Heritage Fund' list- he applied to all that looked relevant. Also detail of what we have spent.

ACTION: SP will meet Mr. Buncombe on 23rd May.

6 d†††††† Heating

No change- still condemned. We are spending all our funds on lighting.

6 e†††††† Font

We delivered our part of the response in time for the deadline, and Vivian Davies delivered his. SP reported that the Victorian Society has asked for an extension to consider our responses, and may then come back on them. We may then have a further opportunity to reply to their response.

6 f††††††† Insurance

Ecclesiastical Insurance (EI) met Stanley in church on 25th April and carried out a survey. We have received a summary of this meeting, which was read out by SP. They have also quoted us for a new premium for continued cover, that is significantly more than the previous premium. It is not at all clear why it should be. SP reported that Rodney Stoke had a rather similar experience and after contacting the diocese managed to get a much reduced premium, still with EI under the group insurance scheme.
ACTION: CG to ask Len May how this reduction was achieved, then try the same thing for ourselves.

We need a risk management report as part of our own documentation. We have received some literature from EI that should be helpful in this.
ACTION: CJ and DC will form a subcommittee to look into this.

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.††††† Worship

i.      Pentecost- LMG. We are putting on a play and will work on it.

ii.     1st July- special service, joint. St. Peter's festival. Everyone whom Stanley has married (10 couples) and children he has baptised (30) will be invited to attend. The theme could be renewal of vows- could be communal. We need something separate for children- Annabel Astle seems willing to organise something (perhaps adapting our family service).
ACTION: TO, TL will help Stanley to put something together

iii.   30th September- Stanley not here. Nicola Sullivan will officiate- 11:15 at Rodney Stoke. We will have BCP Holy Communion. Colin and Josie Symes will renew marriage vows. Alistair Glanville could preach.

iv.   Next preacher's meeting- 2nd July.

7 b.††††† Fabric

Listed places of worship grant scheme. Website has permissible works for VAT exemption. Passed to RD.

SP e-mailed English Heritage to ask about possible support for some of our different works- three of them could possibly be supported.

7 c.††††† Finance

DC reported that there was £4,900 in the general fund and £8,100 in the refurbishment fund. We had continued to pay £250 per month Parish Share.

7 d.††††† Fund raising

††††††††††† A possible idea- scarecrow competition?

7 e.††††† LMG

††††††††††† Pentecost celebration. There will be a skittles evening in September in the Red Lion, Draycott.

7 f.†††††† Events group.

Harvest supper- being organised by Tricia Lumley. Date: 14th October.

Should we have draw tickets? Consider at a future meeting.

8.      Items of New Business

8 a.††††† Articles of enquiry.

Has anyone received? Not knowingly!
ACTION: RD to ask diocesan office to reissue.

9.      Dates

19th June: next PCC meeting (7:30 at the Jeffs)

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site