Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott


Held on 26/02/2007 at 7:30 p.m. at 9, Barnet's Well, Draycott.

Return to main site


1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.     Attendance, apologies and welcome. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Arising, actions. 1

5.     Any other business. 2

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a.      School Governor request 2

6 b.     Lent course books. 2

6 c      David Clarke. 2

6 d      Thea- announcement 2

7.     Items for Discussion. 2

7 a.      Worship. 2

7 b.     LMG.. 3

7 c.      Fabric. 3

7 d.     Finance. 3

7 e.      Fundraising. 3

7 f.      Events group. 3

8.     Items of New Business. 4

8 a.      Friends of Somerset Churches and Chapels. 4

8 b.     Harvest Supper. 4

8 c.      Letter from John Reed. 4

8 d.     School of Formation. 4

8 e.      Letter- Pru Maria. 4

8 f.      Glastonbury Festival. 4

8 g.     Christian Research Organisation. 4

8 h.     Admission of children to communion. 4

8 i.      Neighbourhood Watch. 4

8 j.      Verger 4

9.     Dates. 4

10.      Closing prayer 4


1.      Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance, apologies and welcome


Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Tricia Lumley

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price









Victor Skinner



David Cheetham Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley









3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 15/01/2007 meeting were agreed as accurate subject to minor amendments.

4.      Arising, actions

6 a. (Reply to Mr. Binning's letter) Done, published in Mid Somerset Newspapers.

6 b. (Study Group) Organised- we are doing the York course previously recommended.

6 d. (Mr. Thorncarr's request) Message sent.

7 a. i. (Wafer supply) Ordered.

7c. ii (Drains) Steve Wall has not got back to us
ACTION: TO to repeat the request.

7d. (Envelopes) VS- existing ones are adequate. We just need a suitable notice to advertise their presence and explain the system.
ACTION: VS will prepare a notice, CJ will laminate it. VS writing article in the newsletter.

7e. (End of book selling). Announced in newsletter.

7g. (Risk assessment) Not done- carry forward

7i. (Thanking Barry & performers at concert) Done.

5.      Any other business

Thea announcement, Harvest, Correspondence.

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.      School Governor request

CG read out Jane Hampton's letter, suggesting that some governors stand down early in order to spread out the re-appointment cycle. We were broadly in favour, although we should consult the foundation governors on this ourselves.

ACTION: CG to reply to Jane. SP to visit governors.

6 b.      Lent course books.

CG had bought these at a cost of £27-50. To be reimbursed.

6 c       David Clarke.

Sacristan training not done; should it be rescheduled? NB. CJ has already shown DC & SP; will show others when the occasion arises.

We also debated what kind of present to get David in appreciation of his long service.
ACTION: SP to visit and find out what he needs/ might appreciate

6 d       Thea- announcement

TO reminded us that she had been a churchwarden for a few years and it was time for her to stand down. She would make an announcement to this effect at the APCM.

The meeting accepted this regretfully, with grateful thanks for all she had done.

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.      Worship

i.      Worship group- 12th Feb.

·      Joint service on 1st July at St. Peter's; this would also be the 21st anniversary of SP's ordination. We are planning to invite everyone who has been baptised by him. The St. Peter's day picnic will be the Friday before (29th June).

·      Preaching- the preaching team will be preaching a series of 6 sermons on the Lord's Prayer, each sermon addressing a section. This will take place on the 1st three weeks of August, followed by the 1st 3 weeks of September.

·      The next meeting of the worship group will be a social gathering on 3rd September.

ii.     The Ash Wednesday service had an attendance of 10- better than in recent years.

7 b.      LMG

SP reported on a series of meetings on the theme of 'discovering your gifts'.

7 c.      Fabric

i.      Snagging list- as far as we know, this still needs to be prepared by Mr. Chedburn and sent to West Country Tiling. We cannot pay what we owe WCT until they have this list and can submit their final invoice, and we won't get the balance of our English Heritage grant until we can submit this invoice to them. This is frustrating.
NB. SP was not happy with the last quinquennial survey, which had ignored rising damp. We should finish our current works and consider employing a new architect.

ACTION: CG to write to WCT to ask whether they have received the snagging list- if so, they need to get on with the works; if not, please contact Chedburn.

ii.     Electrical survey has been done- we are awaiting their report

iii.   Boiler- SP has found someone capable of servicing it (Melhuish of Cheddar)- will visit on 8th March. SP has also asked him to estimate for a new one.

7 d.      Finance

Received by e-mail from DC and read at the meeting- the following is an excerpt.

We have at the moment  £3673 in the general account and £7975 in the roof account.

I have sent £250 towards the 2007 Parish Share in January and again in February, but I can of course stop doing this if the PCC wishes. So far I have not sent anything to Nepal.

I am slowly ploughing through the 2006 accounts, still trying to understand the various codes used and add up mountains of figures (most of them very small!). It is a much more demanding job than I had envisaged.

I hope I am following the PCC’s instructions by

i.      Treating the 2006 parish share as closed, and

ii.     Paying the DBF £250 every month towards our 2007 share.

Comments of meeting-

1.      Nepal is ring-fenced money contributed for this purpose..

2.      We had agreed to pay £250 per month as long as we have it in the account.

7 e.      Fundraising

Mike Parsons proposed to SP that we could have the use of his farm for a fund-raising event (such as the barbecue) any time we wanted it. Sadly we don't feel we have the manpower to put on an event like this at the moment.

7 f.       Events group.

There were no forthcoming fundraising or charitable events.

8.      Items of New Business

8 a.      Friends of Somerset Churches and Chapels.

We have received a newsletter, which will be put at the back of the church.

8 b.      Harvest Supper.

Thea will not organise the harvest supper this year. Tricia Lumley will lead on this.

8 c.      Letter from John Reed.

A letter was received from John Reed (archdeacon) concerning the non-payment of the parish share.

8 d.      School of Formation.

Notice had been received of a 'school of formation' for new ministries- with courses on a variety of subjects.

8 e.      Letter- Pru Maria.

SP had received a request for spare camping equipment..

8 f.       Glastonbury Festival.

We have been asked for volunteers to man the church tent. This will involve 2 training days and 2 nights and days of the festival.
ACTION: TO has already e-mailed but without a response. Will try again.

8 g.      Christian Research Organisation.

Thornbury Baptist Church- 13th and 16th March- seminars advertised.

8 h.      Admission of children to communion.

Current permissions are void from 16th June. There is a process to agree new ones that we must understand.
ACTION: SP will find out more

8 i.       Neighbourhood Watch.

Somerset Police have a 'home safety action group' that can train others to pass on good advice- Monday 23rd April (e.g. how to resist bogus callers).

8 j.       Verger

            Do we have a verger (mainly for funerals)? Victor was willing to be one.

9.      Dates

5th March: next PCC meeting: special meeting to discuss font (7:30, in church)

2nd April: next regular PCC (7:30, at the Jeff's, 9 Barnett's Well)

22nd April: APCM (6 for 6:30 in church)- NB. public notice needed

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site