Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

Held on 31/07/2006 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

 

Return to main site

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance and apologies. 1

3.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.†††† Arising, actions. 1

5.†††† Any other business. 2

6.†††† Items for Decision. 2

6 a.††††† Concert 4th Aug: accommodation. 2

6 b.†††† Font. 2

6 c††††† Utility bills. 2

6 d††††† New PCC member. 2

6 e††††† Cartwright's moving. 2

6 f†††††† Contemplation. 2

7.†††† Items for Discussion. 3

7 a.††††† Worship. 3

7 b.†††† LMG.. 3

7 c.††††† Fabric. 3

7 d.†††† Finance. 4

7 e.††††† Fund raising. 4

7 f.††††† School governors. 4

7 g.†††† The Laurels. 4

8.†††† New business. 4

8 a.††††† The Road to Growth. 4

8 b.†††† Wells Lend Lectures. 4

8 c.††††† Ideas for weekday worship. 4

9.†††† Dates. 4

10.††††† Closing prayer 4

 

1.      Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies

Present

David Cheetham Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley Chris Green

 

DC

RD

SD

CG

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner

TH

CJ

TO

SP

VS

3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 26/06/2006 meeting were agreed as accurate subject to minor amendments.

4.      Arising, actions

(not covered in Agenda)

from minutes previous to 26/06/06

7 e. (German War Graves Commission). Stanley had spoken to David Sheldon. There is a metal post outside the south transept that marks the spot- we thought WWI. SP did not have enough time to find the records in the Somerset record office in Taunton.
ACTION: SP to look into making this a school project

7 c. (cruet) RD has been looking but not yet found a pair.

7 d. (Hand-over from WC to DC) This had been dealt with. DC is attending a diocesan course in September, which should help.

 

8 d (Magazine) Still to raise with Heather Robinson (ACTION RD).

from minutes of 26/06/06

6 c. (Concert 4th Aug: funding) DC had been consulted and agreed to the contribution of £50 from church funds.

7 a. (St. Peter's day article) Not done.

5.      Any other business

4 extra items were inserted into agenda

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.††††† Concert 4th Aug: accommodation.

DC agreed to put up the two performers, who are students.

6 b.††††† Font.

The Council for the Care of Churches (CCC) send someone to look at the Font on 22nd August at 11:30. DC, TO & SP should be able to be there. We agreed that our prospective purchaser should know about this development. We decided that SP could reveal the full offer price (to CCC) if he thought this was appropriate.

6 c†††††† Utility bills.

Electricity bill: the good news. This is now £15 per month

Gas bill: this has gone up. Was £331.91 last year, initial estimate for this year was £628.02. However this was reduced to £467 based on a reading.

Should we change gas suppliers? We agreed this was probably not worthwhile. Also there was no longer any monetary incentive for having the same supplier for both gas & electric. We could get a reduction of 6% by paying with direct debit.

We could use less gas by being more careful about when it was switched on.

ACTION: DC to set up DD arrangements for gas.

ACTION: RD to change boiler program.

6 d†††††† New PCC member.

TO proposed Patricia Lumley as a new member of the PCC. SP seconded. All agreed, and extend her a warm welcome.

6 e†††††† Cartwright's moving.

Gift voucher, garden token, card, all suggested.

ACTION: TO to organise a collection & card

6 f††††††† Contemplation.

Several of us were very keen on getting Gordon Jeff to run an 'away day' to convey some of the ideas on contemplation that he introduced in a recent sermon.

ACTION: Agenda item for next PCC

 

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.††††† Worship

i.      Family communion

SP had been advised that the family service was not fully 'legal' in its current form (not based on Common Worship). Rodney Stoke decided not to adopt it. Should we worry about the legality issue? We thought not.

Proposed that we continue to use the family services with non-standard liturgy, on occasional basis (NB. Common Worship is still our main one): TO proposed, RD seconded. All present were in favour.

DC: can the family communion service be rather more 'pared down'?Although simplified compared to Common Worship, this process could be taken further in the interest of 'family friendliness'.

ACTION: Worship group to consider how best to adapt liturgy further.

ii.     'Back to School Sunday'.

A sample pack was available for this themed service, cost £10. We agreed to try it out on 2nd October.

iii.   Prayer for Somerset.

Event on Friday 22nd September (Wells Cathedral, 7:30). Speaker: John Finney

iv.   Healthcare Sunday.

15th October. Could we think of doing this on a weekday evening?

ACTION: Discuss at next PCC.

7 b.††††† LMG

i.      A course on 'theology of hymns' is proposed. Barry will do it on 9th November at St. Peter's. NB. Thursday (evening)

ii.     Next prayer meeting: 19th September

iii.   Deanery confirmation: Axbridge 17th November

iv.   Joint worship praise- 27th May 2007 (evening)

v.    So far the meetings have been based on clergy and readers. Further PCC members are encouraged to attend. A weekday lunch proposed- we will think about it.

7 c.††††† Fabric

i.      We admired the altar cloth, made by the school
ACTION: write a letter of thanks (CG).

ii.     Bells: problem with the mounting. Somerset Forge must be notified.
ACTION: contact Andrew Kinneston at Somerset Forge (VS).

iii.   Disabled access audit
We have received a quote for £3000 from the architect for a scoping study, to incorporate the disabled audit and the other improvements discussed (listed in the appendix to the previous minutes). Discussion ensued; should we have the study first to set ourselves a target for fundraising, or should we save our hard-won money until we have the funds to put significant works into practice? We could not decide.
ACTION: put this on hold for the time being- write to architect (RD)

7 d.††††† Finance.

(summary received separately)

Still outstanding for roof: retention fee of £1,374. We are still due £2000 for the balance of lottery fund grant.

7 e.††††† Fund raising.

Wyvern are not closing down until the New Year, but would not accept a claim based our retention fee. Might be able to claim architect's fees.

7 f.†††††† School governors.

SP had asked Nikki Devitt to prepare a report. This was circulated with the minutes. We thanked Nikki for this.

7 g.††††† The Laurels.

TO & CG had been asked at our last visit if we could provide transport for one or more of the residents to enable them to come to church. We have some volunteers for a transport rota. SP to deal with The Laurels.

8.      New business

8 a.††††† The Road to Growth.

A diocesan event- fliers at back of church.

8 b.††††† Wells Lend Lectures.

Programme left at back of church.

8 c.††††† Ideas for weekday worship.

We did not think this was suitable for Draycott.

9.      Dates

Next PCC meetings: September 18th, October 23rd and November 20th, all at 7:30 in the church.

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.

Return to main site