Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott

Held on 26/06/2006 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.


Return to main site

1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.     Attendance and apologies. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Arising, actions. 1

5.     Any other business. 2

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a.      Concert 4th Aug. 2

6 b.     Font. 2

7.     Items for Discussion. 3

7 a.      Worship. 3

7 b.     LMG.. 3

7 c.      Fabric. 3

7 d.     Finance. 3

7 e.      Fund raising. 3

8.     New business. 4

8 a.      Bells. 4

9.     Dates. 4

10.      Closing prayer 4

Appendix: meeting of SP & RD with architect 4


1.      Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer. Tricia Heckbert took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies


Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner










John Cartwright

Wendy Cartwright David Cheetham

Richard Dingley Sylvia Dingley








3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of the 30/05/2006 meeting were agreed as accurate subject to minor amendments.

4.      Arising, actions

(not covered in Agenda)

from minutes previous to 06/06/06

7 e. (German War Graves Commission). We had received a reply from Jonathan Cox, who was unable to clarify the position. Since no-one present had any knowledge of the graves it was suggested that David Sheldon be asked.
ACTION: SP to speak to DS
8 d (Magazine) Still to raise with Heather Robinson (ACTION RD).

from minutes of 06/06/06

6 c. (Posada) We had not located any material on the Church Army website on a revised Posada- it appeared to describe the figures we already were familiar with
ACTION: RD to be more explicit as to where this material is available.

7 a. i. (special duties) Covered in Agenda.

7 c. (leaks in roof through bell-rope holes) VS had informed the architect, but it does not seem to be a problem at present.

7 c. (cruet) Not yet resolved.

7 d. (Hand-over from WC to DC) Wendy has said she had talked to David about this.

7 d. (Authorised signatory- forms) Wendy still needs to be asked to bring in forms (CG)

5.      Any other business

3 extra items were inserted into agenda

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.      Concert 4th Aug.

SP has some photos and more information on the Kyiv Classical Accordion Duo. They are happy to start at 6 pm and play for 1 ½ hours. NB. since this is in aid of the children of Chernygiv affected by Chernobyl it would be good to have the children involved. SP proposed no charge but a retiring collection. Could we make a contribution from the PCC?

CJ proposed £50, and this was seconded by TO. All agreed, subject to the Treasurer's approval (NB. this amount would be in addition to the retiring collection).

ACTION:         Consult treasurer (CG)
                        Promote round village (SP, TO, …)

6 b.      Font.

SP reported that the DAC had passed our proposal for the sale of the font to the Council for the Care of Churches (CCC) at Church House, London (their parent body). What should we do now? We decided to keep the precedents in reserve, but to pursue the insurance (we need to anyway, and it may strengthen our case if we have to pay a higher premium).
ACTION: the PCC approved Stanley to write to the CCC if and when further information came up that would strengthen our case, but not for the moment to mention the precedents in Lincolnshire.
ACTION: make enquiries to Ecclesiastical Insurance (SP)


6 c       The Laurels.

TO suggested that we should make an official offer to The Laurels to invite them to a Sunday service, as in a recent visit some interest had been expressed in this. TO had mentioned it to one of the managers at the time but something more specific and official was probably required. After discussion, the joint service at Rodney Stoke on Sunday 30th July was suggested, as the Draycott service would be rather early.
ACTION: SP to approach The Laurels


7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.      Worship

The St. Peter's day meal was very good- thank you! CG was also congratulated on his address to the congregation- could this go on the website? A summary!
ACTION: CG to write a report on the St. Peter's day celebration for the magazine.

7 b.      LMG

The LMG is 'ticking over'. The weekly meeting is convivial. NB. there is a skittles event on the 23rd July- we have 12 tickets to sell.
ACTION: TO to announce skittles event in Church.

7 c.      Fabric

·      Waste pipe from sink is broken- this has been reported to the architect.

·      A tile has been broken on the porch roof; a piece has just come down, but it was not a new break, as shown by the weathering on the break.
ACTION: this should go on the builders 'snagging list' (SP).

·      RD & SP met the architect on Wednesday (21/06/06) to talk about the next phase of church refurbishment. He will prepare some plans, and also a quotation for the planning work- but this is not yet available. SP read a list of the items discussed (provided as an appendix to these minutes)

·      The next quinquennial report is due soon. The inspection has been arranged for 8th August at 10 a.m.

7 d.      Finance.

(DC had provided CG with the following report, which was read out)

1.      The bank balance stands at £3212.

2.      The Direct Debit for EDF electricity has gone down from £18 to £15 per month. Since this is an annual review, I imagine that it reflects an annual reduction in cost, not just a seasonal reduction for the summer. Well done, everyone!

7 e.      Fund raising.

VS reported that £25 was received from book sales at the Book Barn. VC will organise another book stall when possible- the next will probably in the Town Hall.

The raffle & lottery licence was renewed as agreed. The draw must take place in Sedgemoor (e.g. in the Memorial Hall- but not in most of the rest of Draycott, including the church).

We need people to sell tickets- at the last draw, the value of the raffle prizes exceeded the proceeds from sales. A prize of tickets should be available from the Somerset Cricket Club if we ask them.

Other ideas for the raffle were discussed.

Wyvern Environmental Trust will be approached with the £1400 bill still outstanding on roof repairs (the retention).
ACTION: VS to write to them

The company 'Aggregate' could be approached for support- VS will investigate.

The Historic Churches Preservation Trust has two funds that we might tap, for access (kitches, heating, lighting) and facilities for the disabled. VS will find out more.

NB. A good example of what can be achieved by church re-ordering is Holy Trinity in Street- George Chedburn was the architect. We should visit as a PCC.

8.      New business

8 a.      Bells.

It had been reported that one bell wasn't working. Both had been tested, but they were apparently fine.

9.      Dates

Next PCC meeting: Monday 31st July at 7:30 in the church.

10.  Closing prayer

The meeting was closed with the Grace.


Appendix: meeting of SP & RD with architect

Agenda of meeting on 21st June 2006


A1.          Disabled Audit: including moving entrance to Church Yard to end of pavement; provision of disabled loo - possibly in North-west corner of nave.

A2.          Provision of 'glass' doors at both ends of porch in porch as a window seal and so that the wooden door can be kept open

A3.          New lighting plan and re-wiring including moving ceiling candelabra. Use of up/down lighters and dimmer facility

A4.          Decoration: highlighting work on arches and capitals. Possible darker paint over lower part of walls. Colour for ceiling panels etc.

A5.          Heating: new boiler into present toilet, under floor heating and new wooden floor

A6.          Audiovisual: provision of screen and projector for power point and films (screen drop type behind chancel arch x

A7.          Move screen to west end to create Narthex and pulpit to north side of choir

A8.          Replace the organ with electronic organ

A9.          Create rooms on north and south sides of choir for kitchen and vestry/office, (sides to be discussed)

A10.      Create 'upper rooms' (mezzanines) in north and south transepts with stair on west walls

A11.      Investigate what use can be made of the crypt (boiler room) for possible storage or protection from rain entry.

A12.      Possible consideration of gallery over west end

A13.      How many loos do we need?? Possible later use of Bier House for these?


Return to main site