Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

Held on 05/12/2005 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

 

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance and apologies. 1

3.†††† Report on the font 1

4.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 2

5.†††† Arising, actions. 2

6.†††† Any other business. 3

7.†††† Items for Decision. 3

7 a.††††† Deputy church warden. 3

7 b.†††† Lent course. 3

7 c††††† Bible study. 3

7 d††††† Charities group. 3

8.†††† Items for Discussion. 4

8 a.††††† Worship. 4

8 b.†††† Non-Eucharistic services. 4

8 c.††††† Fabric. 4

8 d.†††† Church re-ordering. 4

8 e.††††† Finance. 4

8 f.††††† Fund raising. 4

9.†††† New business. 4

9 a.††††† 'Help Make Poverty History'. 4

9 b.†††† Church opening. 5

9 c.††††† Font valuation. 5

9 d.†††† Prayer meeting. 5

10.††††† Dates. 5

11.††††† Closing prayer 5

 

1.      Opening prayers

Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer and Thea took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies

Present

Gillian Crease

Wendy Cartwright Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Tricia Heckbert

Colette Jeff

 

 

GC

WC

RD

SD

CG

TH

CJ

Present- contd.

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner

Lorne Talbot

 

Apologies/Absent

John Cartwright

 

TO

SP

VS

LT

 

 

JC

3.      Report on the font

Our potential buyer presented his findings on the history of the font, backed up by photographs and a contemporary Year Book. He has concluded that this is almost certainly the work of Henry Burgess, not originally intended for Draycott but probably gifted to it when Winscombe church had no need of it.

We asked him a number of questions, and there was a lively discussion.

 

We thanked him for giving us so much of his time and for presenting his findings in such an interesting manner.

4.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of 25/10/2005 meeting were agreed as accurate with minor corrections.

5.      Arising, actions

(not covered in Agenda)

from minutes previous to 25/10/05

6 f (moving boiler controls). Has been done.

from minutes of 25/10/05

6 a. (Chancel decoration quotes) Mr. Chedburn has put us in touch with one contractor who may be able to do the painting. RD has contacted another one and will meet him in the church on the 6th. It is a big job and quite specialised- there are 32 panels and they need preparation, before painting with a suitable distemper-type paint. We must choose the person who is most competent for the job and not necessarily the cheapest.

Motion: we should choose the best person for the job (in the churchwardensí and architectís judgement). Proposed: TO. Seconded: WC. All agreed.

ACTION: RD to progress the matter.

6 b. (Kiev accordion concert). Done- it is in Igorís diary.

6 c. (Magazine distribution lists). It was too much work to write on every bundle each time, but a list is now available at the back of the church.

RD: a distributor is needed for The Street in the next 2 months. TO volunteered to do this delivery.

6 d. (Toilet seat). Lorne will sort this out.

6 e. (Church linen). Not done yet. NB. we donít use what Heather has already made for us. We were not clear about what this was or where to find it all.
ACTION: CG to ask Heather to look it out.

6 f. (Kettle). Not yet done. ACTION: WC volunteered to buy one.

6 g. (Waste bin notice). Done.

6 h. (Charities group). Still need to do this. ACTION: TO will announce in church.

7 f. (Action on font). We need some time to reflect on what our prospective purchaser has told us.
ACTION: on agenda for next PCC.

7 j. (Diocesan synod report for newsletter). Not done.

7 k. (Moving gravestones). Not done- mornings too wet. May need to wait until spring.

6.      Any other business

For information (given by RD here):

Stanley's term of office is due to end next year, on Maundy Thursday. The churchwardens have asked Stanley to stay on as incumbent for a further term, and he has agreed. The archdeacon also supports his reappointment and would like to be here in person, although this would not be possible on or near the start date.

Can we arrange for the LMG to meet here so that the licensing can be done? Mothering Sunday was proposed, and agreed by the meeting.

The PCC expressed their pleasure at Stanley's continuation as our vicar.

ACTION: RD to write to secretary of LMG with invitation.

Other business

Historic Churches Preservation Trust require an annual collection. Do the PCC agree?
Proposed: SP. Seconded: CG. All agreed.

Joan Smith has said that she cannot continue to clean the church, a duty that she has undertaken for many years.

ACTION: CG to write her a letter of thanks from the PCC.

 

NB . remaining time was short, so we concluded business as quickly as possible- several items were deferred.

7.      Items for Decision

7 a.††††† Deputy church warden.

No-one has volunteered yet. Tricia, Vic both agreed to do extra duties as required. Thea thanked them.

7 b.††††† Lent course.

There is not going to be a Cheddar Valley course next year. RD has circulated everyone with an invitation to the Passover supper, that was to be the end session of any course we carried out. What should we do?

The meeting agreed we should go ahead with a course of our own choosing, and invite other churches to participate.

ACTION: the Bible study group to come up with some ideas to put before the PCC.

7 c†††††† Bible study.

CG announced the intention of the Bible Study Group to continue next year, probably with a study of St. Paul (corrected later- we had actually agreed to the Acts of the Apostles). The PCC gave this their approval.

7 d†††††† Charities group.

Deferred.

8.      Items for Discussion

8 a.††††† Worship

Christmas services are all planned.

The Tree Festival has all been organised by Tricia Corrick & Linda Whittle.
ACTION: CG to write letter thanking them.

8 b.††††† Non-Eucharistic services

The numbers of people have not increased, but there may be different people. Next one: New Year's Day. There is due to be a baptism that day. It is also an international day for human rights. Stanley will organise something.

It was suggested that there could be 3 more months of non-Eucharistic services, and we would then review the idea. NB. we should not rule out alternative Eucharistic services, such as our successful Iona one.

8 c.††††† Fabric.

Steve Wall was approached over other jobs to be carried out whilst we have the scaffolding in place. One is the wire whip for the bell-rope.
ACTION: Steve Wall will inspect, order and replace this whilst the scaffolding is there.

The internal scaffolding will not come down in time for Christmas.

Communion: during Advent, possibly for longer- will take place in the Nave.

8 d.††††† Church re-ordering

(Deferred).

8 e.††††† Finance

(see separate summary)

This week we received £24,000 from English Heritage. We paid bills from West Country Tiling and Chedburn.

Does the diocese still receive monies from the German War Graves Commission for maintenance of two iron crosses in St. Peter's graveyard? They have not been touched for years.
ACTION: CG to write letter of enquiry to DBF.

The meeting thanked Wendy for her hard work.

8 f.†††††† Fund raising.

Victor has applied for a lottery license for our annual draw next year.

9.      New business

9 a.††††† 'Help Make Poverty History'.

(RDreported). A group has been started at Axbridge to create some local initiatives in support of the 'Make Poverty History' campaign. The inaugural meeting took place on December 3rd and was attended by our MP (who opened it) and our MEP (who closed it). The Mayor of Axbridge is on the steering committee. From our parishes, Nikki Devitt and Richard Dingley were there.

There were a number of presentations including an excellent one from Christian Aid.

There will be a planning meeting in January/February to identify projects for local support. RD suggested that a contact location in the 3rd world could be the Nepalese village where Lois works, as she is in effect our own local representative and link.

ACTION: This is a group we should support. Make sure that we are represented in future meetings and activities.

(reminder from RD: there is a prayer meeting at 8 a.m. on Saturday at the behest of the LMG).

9 b.††††† Church opening

SP asked if we could open the church again, now we have moved the boiler controls. Helen Higgs would be willing to lock and unlock the church again as before.

It was decided that we would do it in the new year after the scaffolding is down- it is currently too dangerous.

9 c.††††† Font valuation

(to discuss at next meeting).

 

9 d.††††† Prayer meeting

SP announced that he has started a prayer meeting, to take place in church at 9:30 on Tuesday mornings, open to all. His weekday rota will be a half day on Tuesday, and all Wednesday.

10. Dates

Next PCC meeting: Tuesday 17th January at 7:30 in the church.

Talk from prospective purchaser of font- 27th February suggested.

11. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed by SP with a prayer.

Return to main site

Top of page