Held on 19/07/2005 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.
Stanley opened the meeting with a prayer and Thea took the chair.
John Cartwright Wendy Cartwright Richard Dingley
Tricia Heckbert Colette Jeff
Minutes of 06/06/2005 meeting were agreed as accurate.
(not covered in Agenda)
6 b. (Memorials) Deferred.
7 b. SP has met Paul Moulton, and we are awaiting a price.
7 h (iv) (Approach to Roger Reeson). SP has tried but he was away.
FURTHER ACTION: SP to try again.
8 c. (Harvest theme). Defer.
(one item was placed on the agenda).
RD has started this. He currently holds 2 spare sets of keys. Further work is in hand.
ACTION: report on progress to next PCC.
A few minor corrections were proposed. The final result was accepted as the text that should go out (proposed: JC; seconded: WC. All were in favour).
ACTION: CG to send out the new version of the letter as soon as possible.
We must make sure that all action points raised at the APCM are in hand. (Please refer to draft APCM minutes).
6. (Should the names of those on our electoral roll appear on the website?- check the electoral roll form for a consent clause). The form contains no such clause. We should probably refrain from publishing names on the website without explicit consent, with the exception of PCC members, and those in the public eye (such as local businessmen, parish councillors, school staff etc., whose names will probably appear in websites somewhere else anyway). We would have to use some common sense in this.
7. (i) (Inviting RS to share our patronal festival) The service was announced at Rodney Stoke, as are all our special services.
7. (ii) (Passover service to be combined with ecumenical Lent course service). SP will put this forward if the Fraternal back an ecumenical Lent course.
8. (How much did Draycott PCC contribute to the purchase of the second vicarage?). This is discussed as item 7d of the agenda of the present meeting.
13 d). (Thanks to the Newmans for their work on the parish newsletter). CG has sent a letter of thanks.
There is a clash with the 2nd confirmation class on the 12th Sept. Alternative of 6th September (Tuesday) was agreed.
had received a list of all the current governors with appointments dates,
retirement dates and other details. Jane Hampton has been put forward as a
foundation governor by Rodney Stoke PCC. We have three parent governors
appointed or nominated: Jeff Astle, Alison Robinson-Rattle, and Mark Rickard.
We need a fourth foundation governor (not necessarily parent); Joe Hogan was
ACTION: A. Joe Hogan to be approached by SP.
B. CG to write to Mark Rickard, and to Joe Hogan if he agrees. Also write to Diocesan Board of Education.
ii. Thea announced her decision to retire from the Draycott and Rodney Stoke First School governing body, due to the pressure of work with her new job. The meeting thanked her for all the service she had put in over the years.
Annabel Astle and Teresa Reid have proposed to organise a family service for the first Sunday in the new term (which had previously been designated a special non-eucharistic service under the title of ‘new start’). This was agreed by the meeting. We need to approach the organist (David Cheetham) to warn him of the plans.
us that a lady had fallen on a path in the churchyard (slipped on leaves) and
broken her leg, on the 26th January this year. Her solicitors wrote
to SP with a claim for damages, which Stanley passed on Ecclesiastical
Insurance. The latter determined that the claim was the responsibility of
Mendip District Council. Solicitors acting for the diocese required a
certificate of closure of the churchyard to back this up. The PCC regretted the
incident, but understand that we do not have legal liability.
ACTION: Stanley has already located the relevant document (an Order in Council, from the diocesan handbook), and will send this to the diocesan solicitors.
CG had researched the matter in old PCC minutes (with some help from RD who had some older records) and found several references to expenditure- £500 in 1965 (our contribution to the purchase price of £9,486), and a total of £263 for other improvements since then. CG had sent a letter to the diocesan property officer suggesting that in today’s prices we should expect a return on £15000 on our original investment. We await their response.
We have received information from a different surveyor/architect; should we consider changing our current appointment? On balance we didn’t think it was worth it.
i. We have just received a bill for £119 for a bat inspection.
ii. £1000 has been transferred from the current account roof fund to the CBF roof fund.
iii. No bill has yet been received for scaffolding (for the last inspection).
iv. WC had paid a further £500 towards our parish share, and proposed paying a further £500 in August. The meeting agreed.
v. The meeting thanked Wendy.
Victor had been telephoned by English Heritage with a funding offer of £48,000. This was based on 82% of £72,500 eligible costs, less £10,500 tax, which can be recovered elsewhere. 82% is an enhancement of the original offer of 74%, in recognition of the large amount of money that we had spent on the first phases of the repair. This offer leaves us with £14,000 shortfall, after tax refunding. We have funding to cover £8,500, and have put in a request to the Friends of Somerset Churches and Chapels for £4,000. We might be able to get further funding from the Historical Churches Preservation Trust (we will approach them after we have heard from the Somerset Churches & Chapels). We are therefore on course to meet our target to fully fund the remainder of roof work. A piece has been written to go in the magazine to announce the good news to the parishes.
If we want to start in September we shall need a DEFRA licence, but if we wait until October this will be unnecessary.
The next fundraising event is the bookstall in Wells market square on 23rd July.
The meeting gave Victor a round of applause to express our appreciation of the huge amount of work that has been so spectacularly rewarded.
heard from a church architect enthusiast called Vivian Davis. Mr. Davis thinks
that our font might have been made by William Burgess, a well-known 19th
century craftsman. Thea has tried without success to follow up references that
Mr. Davis has provided, but has no reason to doubt his bona fides. He
would like to come and inspect the font.
ACTION: TO will agree, on condition that he writes us a report on his findings.
The Cartwrights are definitely moving, so John would not be available to arrange this event. Would anyone else be able to take this on?
Victor thinks that we are being too half-hearted. It would be better if the vicar asked us to stand first.
ACTION: Stanley will ask us to stand when he announces the peace.
Next PCC meeting: Tuesday 6th September at 7:30 in the church (please note date change).
The meeting was closed with the Grace.