Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

Held on 07/03/2005 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Return to main site

 

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance and apologies. 1

3.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.†††† Arising, actions. 1

5.†††† Any other business. 2

6.†††† Items for Decision. 2

6 a.††††† Youth Work Tour of Deanery. 2

6 b.†††† Wessex Walks. 2

6 c.††††† Adoption of Richard's letter by PCC re. LMGs. 2

6 d.†††† APCM: 17th April. 2

7.†††† Items for Discussion. 2

7 a.††††† Worship. 2

7 b. †††† Fabric. 3

7 c.††††† Finance. 3

7 d.†††† Fund Raising. 3

8.†††† New business. 3

8 a.††††† Child Protection. 3

8 b.†††† Health & Safety- Asbestos. 4

8 c.††††† 'Jesus Quest' video. 4

8 d.†††† Electoral roll. 4

8 e.††††† Historical Penitence. 4

8 f.††††† Confirmation expenses. 4

8 g.†††† MDC: memorial testing. 4

8 h.†††† PCC membership. 4

9.†††† Dates. 4

10.††††† Closing prayer 4

 

1.      Opening prayers

Stanley Price opened the meeting with a prayer and Thea Oliver took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies

Present

Julie Brown

Wendy Cartwright

Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Colette Jeff

Audrey Morgan

 

 

JB

WC

RD

SD

CG

CJ

AM

 

 

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner

Wilf Lacey

Lorne Talbot

 

Apologies

John Cartwright

 

TO

SP

VS

WL

LT

 

 

JC

3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of 18/01/2005 meeting were agreed as correct, subject to minor correction.

4.      Arising, actions

(not covered in Agenda)

From 16/12/2004

7 b iv.†† (Chedburnís final report). VS has been in touch with Chedburn.

7 e.††††† (Friends of St. Peter's). Miles Whittle has been in Australia.

From 18/01/2005

6 b.††††† (Axbridge Deanery Synod rep.) Announced/ notices put up in church.

7 a i.†††† (Christmas Tree festival) Has been passed on to Tricia & Linda.

7 a ii.††† (Worship review group) Covered below.

7 e.††††† (Lorne proposed for governor) Done; Lorne has received her appointment.

NB. we need 1 more parent governor- Viv will give Stanley the names of church attendees to canvass for governors.

8 a.††††† (Scrap iron in churchyard) Removed- letter of thanks sent to Roy Dury.

8 b.††††† (Donations at funerals) New arrangements to be put in place at next funeral.

5.      Any other business

††††††††††† PCC membership for next year.

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.††††† Youth Work Tour of Deanery

Item in "Children's & Young Peoples' Services for Parishes". We have been approached as a possible venue on their tour (fuller details read out by Stanley). We do not really have a youth presence at the moment- details passed on to Viv, as it would be more appropriate for them to be invited by the school.

6 b.††††† Wessex Walks.

Notice given- 1st of May (NB. 40 years of Wessex Walks). Details are already on the notice board.

6 c.††††† Adoption of Richard's letter by PCC re. LMGs.

It was thought by all that Richard had captured the opinions of the meeting on this matter. Motion: that we adopt this letter. Proposed: CG, seconded TO. All agreed.
ACTION: RD will print on headed paper and send.

6 d.††††† APCM: 17th April.

        Some corrections were required for the APCM agenda (RD please to send electronic version to CG).

        Need to ask Alan Newman for a report on the newsletter (RD to ask him)

        All please note the deadline for reports- earlier if possible, and electronic media if at all possible please, to allow Chris to put the final version together quickly.

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.††††† Worship

        i.            Worship group met on 28th Feb, to discuss ideas for non- Eucharistic worship (as agreed previously). Member of worship group would be responsible for organising the worship format on each occasion. A provisional rota of services has been drawn up, to run from the summer. Motion: that we agree to this series of non-eucharistic services. Proposed: SP, seconded; WC. Objections: VS, CJ (not in favour of main Sunday worship being non-eucharistic). Remainder in favour.

       ii.            The new baptism service is too long- needs to be adapted..
ACTION:RD will work on this, including the Eucharistic part. Will share it with SP before departing on holiday.

7 b. †††† Fabric

        i.            ††††††††††† Letters received from architect. A tower needs to be erected in the chancel and outside the church, in time for a survey on 14th March.
ACTION: VS will try to contact Chedburn to make arrangements for access.

††††††††††† NB. Phase I must be finished by 25th March.

       ii.            Securing central heating controls. Not actioned yet. Best idea is to move them into the toilet area where they will be secured behind a locked door.
ACTION: WL to get in touch with Mr. Moulton.

 

7 c.††††† Finance

        i.            We have still not had a proper bill for the sound system.

       ii.            We need another radio microphone. Suggested that we go ahead and purchase one if it is £150 or less (all in agreement).
ACTION: WC to find out and purchase one if not too expensive.

     iii.            Last year's accounts have been audited.

     iv.            Another £1000 has been paid for the Parish Share.

      v.            Covenants: two new covenants have been received.

7 d.††††† Fund Raising

        i.            A letter was received from English Heritage. Do we want to increase the size of the grant? VS asked them if we could reduce our share (25% of the grant).

       ii.            VE celebrations- to be a dinner dance and raffle. Will need contributions for the raffle. Waverly Cruises will give us 2 more tickets. Holiday caravan places promised from Ron Moulton. Richard Dingley said that they may be able to contribute a let for their house in France for 1 week. Maureen Richardson has agreed to do the catering.

     iii.            Books- sale at the Memorial Hall this week. Call for books and bric-a-brac. Bookstall on Wells Market- 23rd July. Ruth Ames-White offered car to help move books. Left over books might be sold at the Moat Race.

     iv.            Still to be investigated- setting up the Friends of St. Peter's. SP investigating this idea.

8.      New business

8 a.††††† Child Protection.

Each parish needs to appoint a child protection officer. Thea is our CPO. Stanley handed out leaflets that he had received to all PCC members. We are asked to contact Thea directly with any CP concerns.

8 b.††††† Health & Safety- Asbestos.

We need to have an asbestos risk assessment.
ACTION: VS to ask Mr. Chedburn & report back.

8 c.††††† 'Jesus Quest' video.

Video offered to schools, costing £2.99.
ACTION: SP to buy a single copy & have a look.

8 d.††††† Electoral roll.

RD proposes writing to all on the electoral roll with a summary of our financial position, inviting them to review their giving. Could try & vary the text according to whether they were already giving or not; or alternatively to phrase it in a way that would be suitable for all. The latter option was favoured by the meeting.
ACTION: RD will write a first draft, pointing out shortfall and providing gift aid information..

8 e.††††† Historical Penitence.

††††††††††† (discuss in the next meeting)

8 f.†††††† Confirmation expenses.

††††††††††† There are candidates from both Rodney Stoke and Draycott. Expenses involve photocopying, and possibly a gift at the end. Estimated to be about £10 per candidate. Motion to accept these expenses; proposed by CJ, seconded by TO. All agreed.

8 g.††††† MDC: memorial testing.

††††††††††† CG read a letter from the Mendip District Council warning us that they are currently testing the safety of memorials in the churchyard.

8 h.††††† PCC membership.

††††††††††† We are aiming for 1/3 of our membership to stand down in each election. NB. this does not preclude their re-selection. Audrey Morgan, Wilf Lacey and Colette Jeff all said that they would stand down.

9.      Dates

Tuesday 19th April- preparing for the AGM. 7:30 in church; Stanley gave his apologies. Following meeting- 6th June.

Axbridge Deanery Synod meeting dates: 14th April (East Brent); 23rd June (East Huntspill); 23rd September (T.B.A.).

10. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed by Stanley with a prayer.

Return to main site

Top of page