Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott

Held on 25/10/2004 at 7:30 p.m. at the Brown’s house.

 Return to main site


1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.     Attendance and apologies. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Arising, actions. 1

5.     Any other business. 2

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a.      Advent and Christmas. 2

6 b.     Electrical works. 2

7.     Items for Discussion. 2

7 a.      Worship. 2

7 b.     Fabric. 3

7 c.      Finance. 3

7 d.     Fund Raising. 3

7 e.      School Governors. 3

7 f.      Community in the Church. 3

7 g.     Christian Foundation course. 3

7 h.     Christian Aid Week organiser 3

8.     New business. 4

8 a.      Correspondence. 4

8 b.     Meeting dates: 2005 (whole year) 4

9.     Closing prayer 4


1.      Opening prayers

Stanley Price opened the meeting with a prayer and Thea Oliver took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies


Julie Brown

Chris Green

Colette Jeff

Audrey Morgan

Thea Oliver

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner Lorne Talbot

Wilf Lacey













John Cartwright

Wendy Cartwright

Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley






3.      Minutes of previous meeting

06/09/2004 were agreed as correct, subject to minor errors (NB. amendments to the account totals in 7b)

4.      Arising, actions

6 b.      (Harvest). A great success- the final total was £409.22, contributed to World Vision. Thanks to Julie Brown for the idea, Thea Oliver and other helpers for all their work.

6 c.      (Taizé service) 6 pm on the 28th November; Nikki and Ian have agreed to organise.

6 d.      (Bishop’s visitors) The video and toolkit have been received- they are well produced, and will be shown to the Church Wardens on the 1st Nov.

7 a i.     (Christingle) see 6a, below.

7 b iii.   (Friends of Somerset Churches) Not known.

7 b iv.   (Approach to archdeacon re. hearing loop funding) JC did not have the opportunity to make the approach.

8 e.      (Diocesan photographer). He told us in the end that he was not coming.

8 f.       (Executive subcommittee). This consists of the vicar, two church wardens, the treasurer and secretary. It will meet as required on an ad hoc basis.

5.      Any other business

(Correspondence- in future to be added in to the agenda as determined by the secretary)

Electricial works (6b)

Christian Foundations (7g)

Christian Aid organiser (7h).

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.      Advent and Christmas

·        Christingle- Candlemass. We are trying to get Lord Carey, but this is difficult. We must decide when to stop trying and get an alternative- e.g. Paul Spanning, the new Baptist minister.
ACTION: Linda to arrange.

·        Carol Service. In hand (being organised by the Jeffs)

·        Taizé service: Nikki and Ian have a free hand
ACTION: Nikki to contact Ian. Nikki and Chris to get Christmas lights up.

·        School plays: Dates not yet known.
ACTION: Thea to ask school.

·        Christmon Tree (white & gold, with Christian symbols; no more pagan than the Christmas festival itself). All were in favour.

·        26th December (Sunday): joint service with Rodney Stoke? Leave the choice to RS.

·        Christmas Cards (to publicise Christmas services). About 600 needed.

6 b.      Electrical works

            Paul Moulton has looked into relocating the heating controls- will get back with a quote.  Other jobs- faulty switch by the door; spotlight facing organ. NB. must make sure that Mr. Moulton has NEIC registration, otherwise our insurance might be invalidated.

            Wilf was thanked for his time & effort.
ACTION: Stanley & Wilf to discuss in church on Sunday.


7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.      Worship

i.            Worship questionnaire. Chris presented the preliminary analyses to the meeting.
ACTION: The Worship Group to study this further and come up with recommendations.

ii.          Prayer Café. Stanley explained his idea further, which was to meet in the morning- e.g. Wednesday, after assembly- and have a group prayer session (there might be a ‘prayer menu’). A difficulty is that the toddler group is starting soon. We will watch its progress, but don’t want to disrupt this positive development.
We discussed whether this was really the best way to build the prayer life of the parish. Other ideas were put forward: e.g. a ‘prayer chain’ for special intentions; a card given out in church for people to take home; some different use of the intercession slot in Sunday Eucharist.
ACTION: something that the Worship Group might consider in the future.

7 b.      Fabric

i.            Hearing Loop. Victor is meeting the supplier (from Graham Cook Music) on the 26th in the church. NB. Stanley knows them from two examples of their work, and can recommend them.
ACTION: Victor will report back with recommendations.


7 c.      Finance

            Colette has been banking the collection money- nothing else to report.


7 d.      Fund Raising

i.            No more people have come forward for the committee.

ii.          Event on May 7th (VE day)- Dance. “A night to Remember”. Band and hall are booked.

iii.         Next meeting: 22nd September.

iv.        Barrie Rose concert: 12th December. 6:00 pm at St. Peter’s.

v.          Architect’s final report and invoice- we are awaiting the final part of stage II. In Victor’s absence this will be sent to CG, who will take it back to the PCC.

7 e.      School Governors

            (nothing to report)


7 f.       Community in the Church

            The idea was explained by Stanley- a series of board-mounted photos showing aspects of the Draycott community. Stanley asked for volunteers to form a group to look into feasibility and costs etc. Chris and Lorne offered.
ACTION: SP will arrange a meeting after Christmas.


7 g.      Christian Foundation course.

CG had recently completed this course (lasting 2 years) and was invited to describe it to the meeting. It had been very worthwhile, for CG at least. Perhaps it may even benefit other parts of parish life, given time.


7 h.      Christian Aid Week organiser

Audrey is stepping down from this job- the meeting expressed its appreciation of all she had done over the years. We need a volunteer to carry it on- this would be advertised in the Newsletter and/or Parish News.


8.      New business

8 a.      Correspondence

Letters had been exchanged with Mendip District Council re. grass cutting. The individual responsible (Mrs. Cheryl Norton) was away, but would get back to us.

8 b.      Meeting dates: 2005 (whole year)



Day of week

6th December



18th January



7th March



19th April



24th April



6th June



19th July



12th September



25th October



5th December




9.      Closing prayer

The meeting closed with the Grace.

Return to main site

Top of page