Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

Held on 20/07/2004 at 7:30 p.m. in the church.

 Return to main site

1.†††† Opening prayers. 1

2.†††† Attendance and apologies. 1

3.†††† Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.†††† Report on actions taken. 1

5.†††† Any other business. 2

6.†††† Items for Decision. 2

6 a.††††† Garden of remembrance. 2

6 b.†††† State of closed graveyard. 2

7.†††† Items for Discussion. 2

7 a.††††† Worship. 2

7 b.†††† Fabric. 2

7 c.††††† Finance. 2

7 d.†††† Fund Raising. 3

8.†††† New business. 3

8 a.††††† Correspondence. 3

8 b.†††† Dates. 3

9.†††† Closing prayer 3

 

1.      Opening prayers

Richard Dingley opened the meeting with a prayer and took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies

Present

Julie Brown

John Cartwright Wendy Cartwright

Stanley Price

Chris Green

Wilf Lacey

Lorne Talbot

 

 

Apologies

Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Colette Jeff

Audrey Morgan

Thea Oliver

Victor Skinner

 

3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of 21st June were agreed as correct.

4.      Report on actions taken

(previous actions)

7 b.††††† (Hearing loop etc.) We are looking for a microphone.

7 e.††††† (Area for cremated remains- sandblasting chain). Wilf reported that this is being done, but it will need painting afterwards.

6 a.††††† (Advertising for a new treasurer). Colette had offered to stand in as assistant treasurer (although not much more than banding cheques and counting the collections). An ad was put in the August/ September magazine.
ACTION: we shall see if anyone volunteers- otherwise Colette's offer is gratefully accepted.

7 g.††††† (Clypping service). This was very successful- there were a lot of mothers, and the human chain successfully reached around the church.

8 b.††††† (Church publicity). Victor has had an article published in the local paper. He may do another one for the Grapevine.

5b.†††††† (Next phase of refurbishment). Mr. Chedburn had visited twice in the course of an extensive survey.

7b.†††††† (bat mess getting into church- gap in roof?) This had not been raised with Mr. Chedburn so the answer was not know.††

5.      Any other business

(several other items were added to the agenda)

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.††††† Garden of remembrance.

††††††††††† Stanley presented plans from Rodney Stoke (NB. this has been granted a faculty). It has cost £2,200 (NB. ours is bigger). It is due to be finished by the end of September.
ACTION: Postpone further decision until we see what Rodney Stoke's design looks like.

6 b.††††† State of closed graveyard.

††††††††††† Mendip District Council have often left the graveyard in an untidy state after cutting the grass, with cuttings over the graves and paths (the latter is a Health & Safety issue). Also some of the headstones are unsafe.
ACTION: CG to write a letter of complaint to MDC.

 

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.††††† Worship

          Stanley proposed a rota for worship at the two churches. We discussed what we should do for the harvest supper. Julie's idea was to have it in a pub- the Strawberry Special would be good as it has the skittle alley. Sunday 3rd October chosen.
ACTION: Thea to contact the landlord. There might be time to put something in the magazine (although important details would need to be fixed first).

          Worship questionnaire: There were 23 returns from Draycott and 19 from Rodney Stoke. CG had not yet had time to transcribe or analyse the results.
ACTION: CG to progress- will ask help from Rodney Stoke.

          Theme for Harvest? Decision next time.

 

7 b.††††† Fabric

The survey being carried out includes getting builder's estimates and planning and costing disabled access. Part of the plan is to avoid the entrance into the road. (Nothing else- RD is away).

 

7 c.††††† Finance

Wendy Cartwright

        Will send another £750 to Diocese for Parish Share

        £2000 will be transferred from the current account to the roof fund.

        The concert made a profit of over £900 (conforms report of last meeting).

        The bookstalls at the Lions event and in Wells market place made £250. The PCC expressed its appreciation for all the hard work which went into this wonderful effort.

        We should recover 40% of our photocopying costs from Rodney Stoke.

        Please can Stanley get his expenses in to Wendy by September.

 

 

7 d.††††† Fund Raising

John Cartwright

        Victor and Rita are doing a bookstall at the Moat Race on 30th August (NB. a £10 fee is payable).

        Owen Spencer is stepping down from the committee as it has proved too much for him, as his health is not good. Appreciation was expressed for his contribution over the months that he has been on the committee.

        An idea- antique 50-50 sale in the church. Can be a big money-spinner, but NB. need to employ and auctioneer. The PCC thought this a very good idea.
ACTION: The committee will discuss.

8.      New business

8 a.††††† Correspondence

An insurance offer had been made to PCC members by Ecclesiastical Insurance. This was not thought likely to represent better value than our current arrangements.

8 b.††††† Dates

        Next PCC meeting: 6th September.

        Next: 25th October

        Next: 6th December

        We should plan ahead for a whole year.

8 c. Toddler Group.

There were still more issues to be resolved (e.g. storage of their equipment; check on insurance cover, cost- £10 per week suggested). The PCC thought it was a good idea and should be encouraged.
ACTION: Decision next meeting. Thea will talk with them and bring a proposal.

9.      Closing prayer

The meeting closed with the Grace.

Return to main site

Top of page