Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peter’s Draycott

Held on 30/03/2004 at 8 p.m. at Villa Westfield, Wells Road, Draycott.

  Return to main site

1.     Opening prayers. 1

2.       Attendance and apologies. 1

3.     Minutes of previous meeting. 1

4.     Report on actions taken. 1

5.     Any other business. 1

6.     Items for Decision. 2

6 a.          Awayday  2

6 b.          Gideon’s invitation. 2

6 c.      PCC invitations to 'First to the Lord'. 2

7.     Items for Discussion. 2

7 a.          Worship sheet. 2

7 b.          Fabric  2

7 c.          Finance. 2

7 d.     Fund raising. 3

7 e.      Area for cremated remains. 3

7 f.          School report 3

7 g.          Welcome pack. 4

7 h.     Inner notice board. 4

8.     New business. 4

8 a.          Renewal of suspension of living. 4

8 b.          Christian Aid. 4

8 c.      New bolt for door. 4

8 d.          APCM. 4

9.     Dates of next meetings. 4

10.      Closing prayer 4


1.      Opening prayers

Stanley Price opened the meeting with a prayer. Richard Dingley took the chair.

2.      Attendance and apologies


Julie Brown

John Cartwright Wendy Cartwright

Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Tricia Corrick

Chris Green


Colette Jeff

Wilf Lacey

Audrey Morgan

Stanley Price

Victor Skinner



Thea Oliver



3.      Minutes of previous meeting

Minutes of 6th February were agreed as correct.

4.      Report on actions taken

6.2              (Payment of WCT). Done. NB. We asked them to comment on the storm damage (item 7.10) at the same time.

5.      Any other business

Several items were accepted for other business.

6.      Items for Decision

6 a.   Awayday

·        Ken Boulier gave us an excellent talk. He suggested that we look at our church through new eyes. (An example- suppose we had a glass door, so that people could look in before entering- it might make them more willing to join us.)

·        Stanley added- we are all experiencing doubt and sorrow- this came out strongly in the away day. A message from Ken- we need to reach out to others and start from where they are. We have begun this process with our village questionnaire.

·        Stanley invites us all to his house on Thursday 6th May to listen to a tape of an address by John Gillespie, which he has found inspirational.

·        We should prepare a budget/business plan- 5 year. We should leave this until after the APCM, and then fix our ‘First to the Lord’ visitor to come and talk to us.

·        We thanked Stanley and Richard for organising this. Could we make this an annual event?

6 b.  Gideon’s invitation.

(see notice on the board).

6 c.   PCC invitations to 'First to the Lord'.

·        Invitations had been received for all the PCC- these were distributed

7.      Items for Discussion

7 a.   Worship sheet.

·        Another idea that came out of the away day- a sheet with the readings and psalm (the latter in a modern translation), plus notices. This has been tried on a couple of Sundays.

·        We were worried about the extra trouble and expense, for a relatively small run.

ACTION: We may do this for special occasions only in the future.

7 b.  Fabric

·        Coming back to the glass door idea- a good suggestion.
ACTION: Stanley will look into the feasibility, and bring this back to the PCC.

·        Loop, speakers- no more news. Priority is repair for the moment.
ACTION: RD will talk to Victor- are there any temporary measures possible?

·        Appreciation was expressed for the notice board in the glebe field.

7 c.   Finance.

·        Parish Share- we have not paid any yet. Propose that on receipt of the next VAT refund cheque (should be £1870) we send £1000. Proposed: Richard Dingley, seconded: Chris Green. All agreed.
ACTION: Wendy to action.

·        Accounts were agreed. Signed copies are available. NB. £605 was missed out in the draft- this has been corrected.

·        It was brought to our attention that we would need a stand-in treasurer for 9 weeks when John and Wendy are on holiday later in the year. It would be a good idea to appoint a deputy treasurer who could understudy Wendy before the event.
ACTION: this will have to be an action for decision by the new PCC after the APCM. We appeal for a volunteer!

·        We thanked Wendy and John for carrying on.

7 d.  Fund raising.

·        The good news is that English Heritage have promised us (verbally) that they will make us a substantial grant. This is subject to written confirmation.

·        The next meeting of the refurbishment committee is on Wed. 28th April.

·        We are getting organised for our next big event (the CMVC concert). As before we are to organise a raffle, and a number of prizes have been pledged already. These include complementary tickets for White Funnel Fleet, and unspecified gifts from the Saddlers, Post Office and Chicks of Cheddar.

·        We shall need to do house-to-house selling, as for the barn dance.

·        The meeting expressed its satisfaction with the English Heritage news and thanked Victor and the committee for all their hard work.

7 e.   Area for cremated remains.

·        Richard had moved one of the chains to open up the entrance- this was an improvement. It would be worth getting the chains cleaned up (sandblasting?).
ACTION: RD to find out how much this would be.

·        Stanley showed us Rodney Stoke’s design. NB. The gravel would be in a pink stone in keeping with Draycott stone.
ACTION: we shall wait and see how much it costs at Rodney Stoke.

7 f.    School report

·        Thea’s idea for holding a Harvest service in school hours was welcomed by the meeting. Dates for harvest- Friday 1st for the school, and Sunday 3rd for the Church were suggested
ACTION: CG to inform Thea of our approval, and pass on our thanks for her continued efforts to find ways of including the school in church activities.

·        Thea had also contributed to the debate about Church opening- her letter was read out. What shall we do?

Ø   If we open the church, it will happen again.

Ø   Should we leave an address/ telephone number where a key can be obtained?

Ø   It may be a condition of the English Heritage grant that the church be open.

Ø   Stanley suggested that we should ‘ask him to go away’. We did this in a moment of prayer.

·        The other communication from Thea dealt with the Remembrance Day service.
ACTION: Stanley will deal with the arrangements.

7 g.   Welcome pack.

ACTION: we asked Tricia to revise the pack. Thank you, Trish!

7 h.   Inner notice board.

The glass fronted notice board needs to be replaced- but the porch roof still leaks.
ACTION: wait until the porch has been repaired.

8.      New business

8 a.   Renewal of suspension of living.

The letter was received by Stanley to announce the renewal of the suspension of the living- this is the official announcement to the PCC.

8 b.  Christian Aid.

·        May 9th to 15th. Audrey would be grateful to have the same level of support as she received last year

·        The meeting thanked Audrey for her hard work.

8 c.   New bolt for door.

Victor has the bolt for the toilet door and will fit it.

8 d.  APCM.

·        The agenda was given to CG for printing with the reports. RD has already put up notices publicising the APCM with the agenda.

·        Should we adopt the recommendations about a rolling 3 year term for PCC members? This might leave us in difficulties due to the small pool we are drawn from these days.

·        Apologies in advance from Richard and Sylvia Dingley and Colette Jeff.

·        Please let CG have reports a week before the meeting, if possible. As before the aim is to have an electronic version in time for the meeting which can be printed off.

9.      Dates of next meetings

·        APCM: 25th April at St. Peter’s Church (6:30 said communion followed by meeting at 7).

·        Next PCC meeting to be determined at the APCM.

10. Closing prayer

The meeting closed with the Grace.

Return to main site

Top of page