Minutes of the Parochial Church Council, St. Peterís Draycott

Held on 02/12/2002 at 8 p.m. at Villa Westfield, Wells Road, Draycott.

 

Return to main site

1.Opening prayers. 1

2.Attendance and apologies. 1

3.Matters to be raised under Any Other Business. 1

4.Confirmation of minutes of meeting held on 29/10/2002. 1

5.Matters arising from the minutes. 1

6.Fabric report 1

7.Finance report 2

8.Refurbishment Fund Committee report 2

9.School report 2

10. Web site report 2

11. Dates. 2

12. Any other business. 2

13. Closing prayer 2

 

1.Opening prayers

Richard Dingley opened the meeting with a prayer, and took the chair.

2.Attendance and apologies

Present

Apologies

Julie Brown

Wendy Cartwright

Trish Corrick

Richard Dingley

Sylvia Dingley

Chris Green

Colette Jeff

Wilf Lacey

Audrey Morgan

Thea Oliver

Victor Skinner

Victor Daley

John Cartwright

 

3.Matters to be raised under Any Other Business

(several items received)

4.Confirmation of minutes of meeting held on 29/10/2002

Minutes from previous meeting accepted following minor typographical changes.

5.Matters arising from the minutes

6. (induction of Victor Daley as priest in charge). This was carried out. The post no longer occurs as a vacancy in the Grapevine.

7. (Meeting with Mendip District Council). An agreement has been reached between the archdeacon, MDC and the architect. MDC are going ahead with the works.

11.3 (Next set of twins for school teacher). These have arrived, and are Nathaniel and Amelia.

12.2 (Taizť evening) All agreed that this was a lovely service, and that the church looked beautiful. Peter Tullett will be with us again at the end of January.

6.Fabric report

(Richard Dingley)

6.1         The next phase of the roof repair is the south transept, and the south side of the nave. It is important that this is started as soon as possible, as this will halt further deterioration, and should allow us to start interior decoration.  The bid from West Country Tiling is the lowest quotation received, and this has been provisionally accepted on our behalf by the architect, George Chedburn. The cost of this phase is £18,500.
There was a discussion over whether we should go ahead with the refurbishment, without having a prior commitment to the entire total (our current funds cover most of the next phase, but not the whole of the planned programme). We had a duty to do whatever we had funds to do, and we should hope for an improvement in our finances.
It was proposed to the meeting that we go ahead with the next phase of roof repair on this basis (proposed: Richard Dingley; seconded: Chris Green). All at the meeting supported this proposal, which was duly passed.

6.2         The fallen tiles and gutter represents more damage that we had thought at first, some of which is to the porch roof. This makes the start of the next phase of repairs even more urgent. We should be able to recover something from insurance.

6.3         A faculty will be needed for the Phase 2 repair works. This has been left with the architect. NB. a faculty is also required for the induction loop system.

6.4         Some carpentry work fitting shelves on some of the kitchen cupboards by John Pedder- appreciation was expressed. Extra shelves are still needed in some of the other cupboards. John has also said he is willing to help us lift the floor and put in new joists, where the floor has sunk.

6.5         We could save money by doing the installation of the hearing loop ourselves. This should be possible under supervision. NB. the main unit will need professional installation. It will be hidden, and would be operated by a remote handset.

7.Finance report

(Wendy Cartwright- see also separate financial statement)

7.1         Our Parish Share total still stands at £6,000, 2/3 of the total requested.

7.2         We should write to the diocese describing our financial position, as it is looking unlikely that we shall be able to pay much more this year now that we have decided to go ahead with Phase 2.
(ACTION: CG to draft letter)

8.Refurbishment Fund Committee report

(Victor Skinner)

 

8.1         Grants are currently being investigated to support our programme. One is from English Heritage; another is from the National Lottery (we are eligible for one of their new schemes). For the latter, we should need to demonstrate that we are meeting half of the costs ourselves. Unfortunately, response to our local fundraising effort has so far been slow. If we take phase 1 and 2 expenditure into account, and reduce the overall project cost, we may still be able to fit the 50% requirement however.
ACTION: Victor to pursue.

8.2         The Barry Rose concert was a success. We were privileged to witness an exceptional display of musicianship, and had a very entertaining evening. We have not yet calculated profits.

9.School report

(Thea Oliver)

 

9.1         The Christmas concert will be the week after our carol service, although we have yet to receive a formal request.
ACTION: Christmas lights should go up next weekend (CG).

10. Web site report

(Chris Green: nothing new to report)

11. Dates

11.1     Future PCC meetings: 20th January (Monday), 6th March (Thursday)

11.2     Annual Parochial Church Meeting: 6th April (Sunday).

12. Any other business

12.1     Philip and Pat Franklin are leaving us on the 31st January.
ACTION: we should write a letter wishing them well and acknowledging their many contributions to the Church (CG).

12.2     The fire at the Brice family home was discussed. There has been a collection at school, and their immediate needs are being met.

12.3     Victor asked for more helpers next time tickets are to be sold.
ACTION: Victor was told to co-opt any that he required when the next occasion arose.

12.4     There is currently a diocesan AIDS appeal, for which we have received publicity material.
ACTION: Audrey will take this on.

13. Closing prayer

The meeting was closed by Richard with a prayer.

 

Return to main site

Top of page